Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Wood Duck - First Try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Wood Duck - First Try

My son shot a few wood ducks yesterday, and wants me to smoke a couple of them. He's a Wildlife Biologist duck guide and hunter, and says that in his opinion, wood ducks are the most tasty of all edible duck species.

However, there are a couple problems:

1. I've never smoked a whole duck (chickens yes, ducks no).

2. Gutted and plucked, these wood ducks are small - one is 9 ounces, and the other is 12 ounces - still on the bone.

I've found a couple smoked duck recipes, each of which were written for 5 lb ducks. So I'm not sure what to do with the smaller ones I have, except to reduce the ingredients and smoke time proportionally.

Any pointers from the experienced duck smokers here in the Pit?

Thanks in advance.

I am definetly not the authority here, but I might treat them as I would Cornish hens or quartered chicken pieces. I also at first jump, would grill em with smoke vs true smoking them, since there are only two of them. Now, if there were a half a dozen or more I would try my PBC. I think your approach with the mods you are doing are a start.

Comment

Wonderin how your duck cook went?

Comment

Originally posted by FireMan View Post
        Wonderin how your duck cook went?
        Actually, I'm doing it tomorrow. Thanks for asking. I'll post results (hopefully good results).

Comment

I certainly am not a duck expert (far from it), but when I did a duck (not wild) I should have pierced the skin liberally or scored the skin to allow the copious fat to render. I have no idea how much fat is on a wild duck although and yours seem pretty small. For a store bought duck you will want to take the breast to 140 and not above.

Comment

I am also not an expert but it would seem to me that fat rendering would be a challenge. There's a lot of fat under the skin (insanely delicious fat) that can be rubbery if not fully rendered. Depending on what type of cooker you have, watch out for grease fires as well.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here