Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't think you can cook a 17-lb turkey in two hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think you can cook a 17-lb turkey in two hours?

Put it in a convection oven and stand back.....

I decided I would help out with Christmas dinner this year(we do Thanksgiving at relatives so we cook turkey for Christmas) and SWMBO usually does everything but I decided(as the master of proteins) I would take over the turkey duty. I had Meathead's Ultimate Smoked Turkey recipe as a guideline but instead of smoking I'd do it in the oven. So I dry-brined the bird yesterday morning, mixed up the gravy and put everything in the fridge overnight.

I did some searching online on convection cooking a turkey, everything I dug up said 2 hours at 325 for a 16-18 lb. bird but I just couldn't accept that. Whoever heard of a bird that size cooking in two hours? Really? You must be kidding me?

Dinner is planned for 1:00 so I put the bird in the oven at 10:00, 325 cooking temp, used the Aero Bake setting on the oven that combines convection and the upper/lower elements. At 11:45 the breast hit 155 on the ChefAlarm, I probed around with the Thermapen and came up with a couple spots that temped at 150. So I set the oven to Bake, let it run there for 30 minutes and turned it off. The ChefAlarm was showing 165 then.

So the last remnants of the family showed up just around 1:00, after exchanging pleasantries and presents the bird came out maybe 20 minutes later. The skin was wonderfully crisp, the outer 1/2" of the breast was a little dry but the interior of the breast and the dark meat was as moist as you could ask for.

What I learned: 1) if you're not intimately familiar with how your convection oven cooks pay attention to what almost all of the search results you get say. You can cook a 17-lb turkey in 2 hours, trust me. 2) Let the wife make the gravy. The aus jous in Meathead's recipe just didn't cut it for my crowd, they're more the Granny Gravy type.

But all's well as ends well, I got compliments on the turkey, it wasn't drastically overcooked and it tasted great with the Simon and Garfunkel rub.

And I learned you can cook a 17 lb. turkey in two hours.

Merry Christmas!
    Bill

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here