Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I inject a turkey a day in advance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds fun over there tbob4 !

I would not worry one bit about injecting surface bacteria into the deep part of the meat, because you are cooking the entire turkey to 165, where all interior bacteria are totally killed, and all the meat is safe from bacteria.

If you were cooking to a lower temp, like a beef, or a pork loin, for example, where you would be cooking to interior temp of 135 or 145, then you would absolutely NOT want to do any piercing of the meat and bringing those surface bacteria into the interior.

Bringing to 165 eliminates the risk of bringing surface bacteria to the interior.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      It is a lot of fun over here. I'm the cook but there's always an eye on the prep. The dogs NEVER criticize the product!
      Last edited by tbob4; December 20, 2016, 11:57 AM.

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      #ReasonNumber643WeLoveDogs

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will inject it the night before and I'm sure that will help the flavours permeate the bird. It's either going to go down a storm or like rattlesnake in a lucky dip. I will let you know which in due course...

Comment

Highlandgriller, Welcome to "The Pit"! You are Now Enrolled in the BBQ Univ.! Attendance and Participation are Mandatory! Enjoy "The Pit"!
      My "Old English Family" thought Boiled Beef or Ham with Potatoes and "Plum Pudding" were for Christmas?
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND USA, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here