Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Goose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas Goose

I smoked my first turkey this Thanksgiving, and it was a big hit! Thinking about doing another bird for Christmas... Goose. Any thoughts, tips, ideas, recipes?

Congrats on your successful turkey cook!

I have never cooked goose but I know it can be tricky. The only goose meat that I have had in my possession was from a friend who gave it to me because it was "so bad". And so I tried to feed it to my hounds and believe it or not, they passed too. So since then, I have kinda shied away from the old Gonzo.

But there will definitely be people her that can help you. I am just not one of them. Congrats again on your Thanksgiving cook!

Comment

Ouch the hounds passed? My pooch I don't think has passed on anything besides a habanero pepper.

thanks for the reply!

Comment

Welcome Njlarso

Comment

This is a scrawny bird. The breasts and legs have some good meat. I treat them like duck. I remove the breasts and grill them. I remove the legs and smoke them. I take the rest and make a stock. I also make cracklins from the skin. I can make a soup with the stock and the shredded smoked legs with the cracklins on top. The alternative is to roast or smoke or grill the whole bird and you end up with over cooked breasts and meh.

Comment

Stupid Question... What makes Goose and Duck safe to cook the breasts to lower temperatures (140 degrees) vs chicken and turkey (160 degrees)?

Comment

• Shane Rakow
              Shane Rakow commented
              Editing a comment
              Duck meat is considered "Red Meat." Most duck manufacturers recommend that duck breast are cooked to an internal temp. of 165F.

• Shane Rakow
              Shane Rakow commented
              Editing a comment
              Cook my poultry, and my fish. No rare-y stuff for me here on this one.

• Michael Brinton
              Michael Brinton commented
              Editing a comment
              Most of the danger with chickens is in the processing. Factory farmed animals, especially chicken are just more infectious. Ducks raised like chickens would be too. Air chilled chickens may have less chance of infection. It depends on how the bird was treated.
              Last edited by Michael Brinton; December 10, 2016, 08:29 PM.

Welcome Njlarso! We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here