Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water pan if not cooking gravy for a turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water pan if not cooking gravy for a turkey?

Cooking a spatchcocked turkey on the GMG Daniel Boone tomorrow. Tried fitting a pan for gravy under the grill grates, but there's not enough room. (I know, I know, trial runs are normally in order). Rather than try to rig something rickety to get the bird well above the pan, I'm thinking of just catching the juices during the cook, adding them to the gravy liquid while it cooks inside, and at least get a facsimile of the gravy. My question is should I include some kind of water pan in the smoker to make sure the turkey doesn't get too dried out? Otherwise, I'm following the ultimate turkey method.

Not for the benefit of drying it out vs not drying it out. You actually want (well most people do anyway) the skin to dry out and get crispy. Some folks will recommend using water pans in pellet cookers to help get a little more smoke flavor on the meat though.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here