Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Torch advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torch advice

In the cold weather, I have trouble getting my WSM22 up to 325 in a reasonable amount of time, if at all. So when I smoke chicken or turkey, they don't always come out with the crispy skin I'm going for. However, I do have a culinary torch at home. Since it's Thanksgiving, and I'm under a time crunch, I may not be able to wait out for the temp to rise up all the way before throwing the bird on. If that's the case, does anyone have any tips on torching the skin, so I don't end up with rubber? I'm definitely a novice with the torch.

I'm not sure you can torch it and get crispy skin. If it were me I'd smoke the bird for a while then move it to the oven to finish and get crispy.

Comment

Don't be afraid to start with more lit coals than you normally do. Or light another half chimney (40 briqs or so) and add them once they're well lit, toward the last 30-60 mins of your cook to raise your temp up. Crispy skin isn't a direct result of quick massive heat like a torch for the Maillard reaction, but it's the time needed to render fat out and dry it as well.

Comment

Thanks guys, that makes sense. I'll try moving it to oven if it's free. If not, I'll dump more hot coals on.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          A good range is 325-360, IMO. Don't worry if you overshoot 325 a bit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here