Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey wet rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey wet rub

So I mixed up the s & g...it shows to put it under the skin. My question is it mentions mixing with water or oil for a few hours ahead of time. Is there a liquid to s & g amount? Going to be putting this on the electric smoker h&g style. Cannot talk the wife into the spatchcock version...or the gravy. She loves her floury paste! So I am just going to put it in the smoker with a pan under it. Going to salt it the day before...should I also do the wet rub under and on at the same time? Should I have some type of liquid in the pan even though I am not doing the gravy? Wife will just be using the drippings to make her paste. Thanks!

Just mix up the S&G with enough water to make a semi sticky paste. The purpose is to give it something to stick and stay in place. A slurry is too much liquid.

Comment

I mix it with avocado oil or Grape seed oil. But any oil will do. You want it to be an oil paste. Not to much oil but enough for you to be able to spread it around, under the skin. Don't forget to add butter under the skin too.

I wouldn't out anything in the pan. Brine it first then add the oil mixture.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        I mix it with avocado oil or Grape seed oil. But any oil will do. You want it to be an oil paste. Not to much oil but enough for you to be able to spread it around, under the skin. Don't forget to add butter under the skin too.

I wouldn't out anything in the pan. Brine it first then add the oil mixture.
        If the turkey was dry brined, should I use salted or unsalted butter under the skin?

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Unsalted

I always use unsalted butter for everything. You can always add salt but you can't take it away after.

Comment

Well...my attempt at doing the turkey on the smoker did not go well. Put my maverick probe in the thigh per my wife and that was probably the mistake. Seeing as the legs are not trussed both sides of the leg/thigh were getting heat. I took off the turkey when it hit 165 and the breast was not done. It was a 11.55lb and it was 3.5 hours @ 290-325. Also had no drippings in the pan...which I told her should be no different than if it was in the oven. I think my auber was acting weird also. Even though I had it set for 325 the chamber was not reaching over 300 after the meat was at 150. Wife was none too happy. I will say that the S&G seasoning was good. Was surprised at the lack of a salt taste even with using 5 tsp to dry brine the day before. I think I will stick with pork shoulders and ribs - which I have done fairly well with.
          Last edited by rmeugene; November 25, 2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't give up. Try buying breast and experimenting with time, temp and taste. Move back to a full turkey. When you get it down you will love it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here