Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truffle Butter Balling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truffle Butter Balling

As Christmas approaches I am starting to think about cooking techniques for the bird.
    I note that Meathead advocates dry brining with a Simon & Garfunkel wet rub and butter balling. I happen to have a stick of Truffle butter. Has anyone tried using that for injecting the Turkey breast?

Question 2. Do I use the large WSM or my Weber Kettle Performer?

Truffle butter sounds absolutely amazing....wow. But in a turkey that's only in theory. We often shy away from recommending injecting flavors, especially into turkey, since so many expect traditional (relatively) tasting turkey. But, I'll admit it sure sounds good. Anything truffle has my vote!

Have you set either of your cookers up for 325+ for poultry before? And what are the sizes of your turkey and the two cookers in question? A larger turkey, if you're spatchcocking, may have a better chance of fitting on a 22" grate, in case your WSM is an 18.5". The kettle may have better of odds of using less charcoal for a 2-4hrs cook too, especially if it has a Slow 'N Sear. The kettle has the downfall of potentially having the top of the bird brown up darker than the grate side of the bird. The WSM would likely cook more evenly, but use more coals, and the bird might not fit if it's an 18.5"and you spatchcock (which we recommend for the best end product).

There are a few unknown factors in which the answers will help guide you to the best cooker for the task.

Comment

Thanks Huskee,

Both the WSM and the kettle are the 57cm versions. The kettle is kitted out with a Smokenator and a Craycort cast iron grate. The WSM has Nomex gaskets and a Cajun Bandit door with a compression latch. I am more experienced with the kettle as I have had it for 16 years and the WSM only a couple of years. The kettle I have cooked with many times at 325+ but you are right, I can't recall using the WSM at 325+. After you comments I am leaning towards the kettle but not use the smokenator. The Turkey will be about 12Lb but I cannot spatchcock as traditionally it is the centrepiece of the table prior to carving.

Comment

You should have no trouble getting your 57cm (22") WSM to 325F or higher. Honestly, I'd go with that given the options. This doesn't mean I'm right or the kettle is a bad choice. Let's see what others think.

Comment

When using the kettle, I have found spatchcocking is the way to go to eliminate the browner / burnt breast. I see you do not want to for presentation purposes so I would advise you lightly drape a sheet of foil that would cover the breast area during the cook and remove as necessary to get your preferred finished color. If not to late I'd look for a bird with a broad breast instead of a tall one.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Another way to beat it is: half hour before cooking, put a couple of bags of ice on top of the breast. Start cooking at 325, breast down on some bread buttered on both sides in a roasting pan. At an hour and a half, take out the turkey, remove the bread, and put the turkey back in breast up. Crispier.

Be careful with Truffle butter. First determine if there are real Truffles infused or is it flavored. It can be overpowering especially the flavored. Go lite. Might want to add a dab on your plated meat.

Comment

Hmmmmm, Truffle....................Butter................. .Balling. One could have an interesting way with words on that title.
            Can you say it fast, ten times in a row.

I especially like the thought of being careful with the truffle butter. Because, it may not have truffles in the truffle butter. So, what would it have, fake truffles? Then what would you call it. And, would you have truffle butter balling with out truffle butter or untruffle butter balling or truffle butter unballing? All questions to be answered, ...............or not.
            Last edited by FireMan; November 21, 2016, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Mind = 💥

I won second prize in the Pretty Bird Photo contest last year with a spatchcocked bird. I did this one on the Weber 22" kettle. After cooking, I simply re-arranged the turkey Norman Rockwell style, and you could not tell it was spatchcocked.

Last edited by Thunder77; November 22, 2016, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Tricksy Wabbit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here