Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

capons in central texas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

capons in central texas?

Anybody know where to get capons in the central texas area?

sorry I can't help you with neutered Roosters (but if/when you find some I would like to know just to see how much of a difference there is between them and hens) off the subject (as I always am) what is considered central Texas? I live in west Texas, But its the bottom part of the pan handle what would El Paso be? I use to live in Dallas/Ft worth which was called North Texas even though Amarillo is way north of there? so really wondering what is Central Tx (if I had to hazard a guess I would bet Austin area?) Good luck with your hunt!

Comment

• lbyer
      lbyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Kosher butchers usually have them...

• Stevo
      Stevo commented
      Editing a comment
      for me central texas is the austin and surrounding areas.

Stevo, GadjetGriller, Off the Subject of Capons but Not to Far! Did I ever tell you Fellers about the Old Texas Farmer and the Old North Dakota Farmer that met for the First Time at the Big Ag Meeting in Washington DC? Well it Seems these Two Old Farmers were Both a Little on the Windy Side! They Fit in Well in Washinton DC! As such things Go they began Comparing the Size of Their Operations Backhome? Well it Seems the Texan led off with the fact that He would take the Hired Man to the field at Day Light and at Sundown He would Go Pick him Up! ( I Hope You Boys Are Old Enough For This Story!) Well, as He Picked the Man Up The Texan noticed his Man and Equp had only completed One Round on the Field! At that Point the ND Farmer interrupted the Texan, and Commented that He had Once Owned a Tractor Like That Himself!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Have you tried your local HEB? I've seen them at the HEB Plus in Victoria.

Comment

I asked my local HEB and they said no. Maybe I'll try other HEBs. (they're a dime a dozen around here )

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Try to find one of the larger ones that has a specialty meat counter. Where do you live?

• Stevo
          Stevo commented
          Editing a comment
          Georgetown. There's a HEB Plus in Round Rock I think...

I called Central Market in Austin and they said they're getting some in tomorrow. They'll be frozen though, but maybe that's the best I can do. Dunno yet if they are pre-brined.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Deal. The ones I've seen here have been frozen, too. I usually do a turkey breast in my Redi-Smoke to supplement the turkey we do in the oven. Maybe I'll try a capon, instead. Thanks for the idea. Let us know how yours turns out.

So frozen is ok? If it has been injected with a brine solution, I shouldn't dry-brine, correct?

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't - too salty.

I have purchased them at a Kroger Signature store here in Houston. Frozen.

Comment

Stevo Ask a butcher at Central Market. That's where I get mine.
          They are never on display. Most are special orders so they are kept in the back.

Comment

Here's the dumb question....what the hell is a capon?

Comment

Our local Kroger affiliate had quite a few capons today. Do you have a Kroger near you?

Comment

nope. I found a 7.75lb fresh hen at my local HEB today so decided to go with that this time around. Still wanna do a capon sometime though.

Comment

Stevo Here you go. Central market, west Gate location off Lamar

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here