Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maiden voyage with new Rec Tec - Chicken Thigh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maiden voyage with new Rec Tec - Chicken Thigh

I haven't done much bone in / skin on chicken thigh but figured it would be a good first cook since I had to work all day. Came out pretty good. Skin was crispy but couldn't bite through very well. Need some more practice on this part.

Cooked at 350 for about an hour. Used a Maverick 733 to monitor temp of 2 thighs and verified them all with my Thermapan. Cooked them to 165.

On six of them I seasoned with smoke salt, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika.

The other six got a honey rub from Rec Tec.

Besides the skin, I didn't think they got enough smoke either. At 350, the Rec Tec doesn't put out much smoke. I might add an AMNPS inside next time around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	454.2 KB
ID:	236899

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	236901

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	236900

Lookin' good! You could smoke them lower initially, say 225 for an hour or so, then crank it up to 350 to finish them and crisp them up. Thighs can handle a much higher temp than 165 and still remain palatable, so don't worry if your temps go up to 170, 180, even 190. True story.

Comment

What he said!!

Comment

What Huskee said. In fact I don't consider dark meat done until it hits 175 deg. F.

Comment

BaconBytes, Just What the Others Said, I usually try, time permitting, to Dry Brine 24 Hrs Ahead and Add the Rub 5-6 Hrs Prior to the Cook! I think your Rec Tec did a Great Job for You!
          Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here