Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Dry Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Dry Brining

Since the lion's share of grocery store turkeys are injected with a salt solution I'm curious whether most folks here dry brine or not? I know Meathead says to do so if it was not injected but I'm interested in the extra help in drying out the skin. Interested in hearing others' thoughts.

Thanks

If it's already injected (a la Butterball), absolutely no brining of any kind ... just rub at cook time.
    Last edited by MBMorgan; November 4, 2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Every turkey I buy is brined. I inject those dudes with a Tony chachere's butter injection and I sprinkle Tony chachere's seasoning on the skin.

I cut back on the salt on a pork shoulder that was already brined, that crap was as bland as it can get.

Comment

• LSUBBQFan
      LSUBBQFan commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jerod Broussard. Yeah, last year I used the Tony's injection and another similar one and it was really good. This time I'm thinking about injecting with warm butter and using either the PBC rub or now you have me thinking of using Tony's seasoning on and under the skin.

I hand rub mine with stick butter. Sprinkle with my Cajun seasoning. Smoke with mixed woods throughout the cook. Hickory, Mesquite, Apple, Peach, most usually.

Comment

My advice, FWIW, is don't skip the brine just because it says injected. We need to know what it's injected with and how much of that is salt! There is no universal law or standard to this.

A good rule of thumb is to look at the Nutrition Facts label. If the sodium content is 200mg or lower, proceed with a normal dry brine (or wet brine, whatever you prefer). If the content is between 200-300, or a little over 300, you can brine them but it may be best to lower the amount, say half-ish. If the content is a lot over 300 or approaching or over 400, skip the brine altogether.

You can't always count on the "injected with a xx% natural solution" as your guide because that "solution" could vary in the amount of salt it contains vs water.

Comment

• LSUBBQFan
        LSUBBQFan commented
        Editing a comment
        Great advice Huskee! I used this info in the past but had forgotten so thanks. Mine is 200 mg per 4 oz. serving size (side note: LOLOLOL). Since the Tony's I'll use is salt-heavy I think I'll get that on tonight in lieu of the usual salt-only dry brine. First turkey on the PBC tomorrow!

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        LSUBBQFan Gotta love "Serving Sizes" ha ha. Ain't nobody had to unbuckle their belt from 4oz of turkey!

• AZRedneck
        AZRedneck commented
        Editing a comment
        4 ounces barely makes a sammich!

I used to wet brine always until Meathead educated me to the dry brine. I NEVER skip this. The results obviously are the reason why. Remember the adage, > "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Comment

Even if you do a light brine, a day or two in the fridge, unwrapped, will help to dry out the skin.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here