Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frozen Chicken - O?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frozen Chicken - O?

I so 2 chickens on my PBC. Does it matter if they have been frozen before I buy them? What about if they have been frozen, but are then thawing when I buy them? Thanks.

The thing about freezing stuff is the formation of ice crystals. They are tiny little sharp daggers that penetrate cell walls. This can make the meat seem mushy (is that a word??) depending on how it was frozen. Quick frozen like at a meat production plant creates the smallest ice crystals possible. however you home freezer freezes real slow making large detrimental ice crystals. meaning you lose a lot of moisture. (this is if it was frozen multiple times) If it came frozen and now its thawing your golden! you can put it on partially thawed it will just take longer to cook! In fact there is a rumor going around that meat cooked from Frozen is better than meat allowed to thaw 1st. I dont know? long story short your good either way! the meat might not be as rigid as your use to but it will still be good. (as far as I know lol)

Comment

I frequently buy chicken parts at discount that are close to the use by / freeze by date.... I then take it home an freeze it... I've never had a case where it didn't turn out good in the end... Of course, I at minimum try to dry brine or marinate chicken as well depending on what I am cooking.

Also my in-laws butcher their own chickens. We will do around 20 or so at a time. They either get canned or end up heading right to the freezer... Those are some tasty birds!

Some places (depending on proximity to meat distributor) ship birds to the store froze or nearly froze and then put them in the "fresh" case where they start to thaw... You can sometimes tell when you pick up the package and the meat is pretty firm still.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here