Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocked turkey times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcocked turkey times

I decided to try spatchcocking a turkey at Thanksgiving but I also decided to do a test run today to see what is involved. I'm also cooking with the recommended "gravy" in a deep pan under the pellet grill grate and under the turkey.

I read the times for cooking a spatchcocked turkey at 325F (14 pounds = 1 hour) and although I couldn't believe it I delayed starting the turkey today to 4PM for a 5:30 dinner with a 15 pound turkey.... An hour later the breast was still only 70F so I kicked up the smoker to 350F (I have a pellet smoker).

It is now 7:10 PM and it is only 145F in the breast. I'm wondering if the gravy pan is slowing it down?

Sounds like you have the first rule of BBQ down: make sure they're starving hungry! I don't have much in the way of clues, my log book got soaked and all the ink ran into an unintelligible mess. To me I'd say you're doing everything right - patience is a virtue (I'm told).

You might take a quick look at https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...n-runs-1-14-03

I think they have a brief discussion on turkey, as I recall.

Comment

I have had an 8 pound chicken cook in 1.5 hours, but never a 15 pound spatchcock turkey. I think my last one took about 3 hours. I hate to ask, but are you using a grate-level thermometer probe? I know from experimenting with my dome thermometer that it runs about 50 degrees higher than grate temps.

Comment

Do you have a 2nd air probe to confirm your pit temp, and a 2nd meat probe (instant read) to double check the breast temp? If I'm reading your times correctly, at 7:10 your spatchcocked turkey has been cooking for just over 3 hours, so my guess is the pit temp is much lower than 325 to 350.

Comment

• dlaslo
          dlaslo commented
          Editing a comment
          Fuzzy Daddy:
          My pellet grill meat probe died and I only use a check with a Thermoworks mk4 (which I don't check more frequently than every 30 minutes in the early going because opening the lid loses heat). I have a backup for the pit but didn't use it.....

When I smoke whole turkeys (a lot), general rule of thumb is 1/2 hr./lb.
        Spatchcocked ought to be somewhat faster, due to greater area being exposed to heat.
        Others well versed in that method will doubtless be along shortly to share their collective experiences, tips, tricks etc.

I jus' can't feature no 15 lb. turkey gettin' done in 1 hour. Mebbe I'm mistaken... wouldn't be th' first time.

Comment

Which recipe told you one hour?

I don't think I've ever even gotten a 5lb spatchcocked chicken done in an hour, usually they're 1:15 and that's when cooking at 340-350.

A spatchcocked turkey at 325 (actual grate temp) can take a good 2-3 hrs, with plenty of variation to this of course, huge turkeys 4 or 5hrs even.

You're a smart feller for practicing as you are now, so you know your cook times for your big day.

Comment

• dlaslo
            dlaslo commented
            Editing a comment
            [from the turkey recipe sidebar] - LINK - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html

...I would guestimate 60 minutes or so for small birds about 14 pounds, and 2 hours for a 20 pounder. But air temp plays a major role, so give yourself a cushion."

dlaslo Gotcha. Those are best case scenario times, I wouldn't bet on that being the norm for sure. Toward the top of the article where there's all the red shortcut links, find Cooking Times (or just scroll down about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the article to Cooking Times subheading). Notice the chart there. That's more your safe bet.

Comment

This was a 14 pounds and took 90 minutes to reach 165 in the breast. Click image for larger version

Name:	20160611_140213_resized.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	233991

Comment

• dlaslo
              dlaslo commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep...I bet it is the radiation from the charcoal fire that speeds cooking. I have a pellet grill - controlled at the 325F set temperature and shielded from the fire

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Great picture dude!!

I have noticed that a spatchcocked turkey takes just a little less time than the whole bird, but not the dramatic fast times folks claim. Maybe it's because my pellet grill's convection currents reduce the difference by cooking the whole bird faster than normal.

Comment

Wellll...this is a timely thread. I plan to spatchcock this year on my Big Green Egg...while I do need to know how long we THINK it'll take I'd also like to know how to maximize my turkey space. I have an Adjustable Rig and can do two shelves plus a drip plan just like I do when I do two briskets or multiple pork shoulders.....

Comment

I have never done a turkey in my life. Ever. Its crazy. Although that might be changing this year. The holidays are are changing. Part of getting older...I guess.

I am thinking the KBQ will get the nod. Cherry wood with a bit of oak mixed in. The S&G for the rub. But I am going to kick the sugar up a bit and maybe add some crushed coriander. I think it will add a bit of a sweet nutty taste to the turkey. Especially with the Cherry smoke accented with the oak splits.

......Now my mind is running.........

Let's keep this thread going and get some more tips from the Gobblers in the Pit.

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  KBQ sounds like a winner - max temp. If it's under 15 lbs, I'll bet about 3 hours.

I wanting to do one or two practice birds on the PBC before Thanksgiving.... So like Spinaker I'm game for some more tips as well... I'm not a big fan of S&G thought... may have to try something different.

Comment

I haven't tried spatchcocking on my grill, but it's how I do Turkey Day meals in my oven. Here's the science behind the process if you're interested.

Comment

I should keep a better logbook! Memory says 2.5-3 hours or so for me with a 13 pound avg bird.

Comment

I did a 15 pounder spatcocked a few weeks back at 325 grate and found it took almost 4 hours. I did fill the water reservoir on the SNS when I cooked it which I will not do the next time since I think that slowed the cooking process down. I found the recipe for the gravy also had way too much water in it which slowed the cook as well. Better to add water to it during the cook than start with too much. Gonna try one more before the big day.

Comment

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds like you have the reasons identified pretty well. Thermal mass and all that!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here