Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled beef and chicken at the same time??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled beef and chicken at the same time??

Hey all. This weekend I am planning to do some pulled beef (chuckie) and pulled chicken for enchiladas, cheese steaks ect..... The chuckie I think I'm good with. But the chicken I'm clueless. I kinda know the chuckie should take about 6-8 hours at 250ish. Let it rest in a cambro for an hour or so. I'm thinking of using boneless chicken Breasts.

Questions about the chicken:

should I dry brine them.
    At what temp should I cook them.
    How long should they take. I know they are done when they are done.
    Do I wrap them to keep them moist.
    What IT should They be to pull them and
    should I rest the breasts before pulling?????

I'm planning on using my offset, but if the temps to cook them both are very different I can also use my weber kettle w/SNS and (hopefully arriving tomorrow)DnG.

As always you guys and gals are the greatest. Any input will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

And Let's keep the smoke coming.

OK, I'm no authority, but I'd take the following course:

Cook at the same temp as the beef
    Check for 160 on the breast - for boneless check breast, I'd start checking at less than an hour, though a bit more is more likely.
    Rest isn't particularly necessary for chicken
    Wouldn't bother wrapping

Comment

For boneless chicken breasts:

All that I buy are already injected with a solution so I don't dry brine at the normal rate of 1/2 teaspoon Mortons Kosher salt per pound to avoid being overly salty. I just do a very light sprinkle.
      Cook at ~325.
      Depending on thickness, about 45 minutes to an hour.
      I have never wrapped them.
      Pull at 160 to 165 IT. Over 165 they will be dry.
      The only reason I would let the breasts sit for a few minutes would be so they're cool enough to pull.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent advice fuzzydaddy and Danjohnston949
        Do the chuckie first than crank up heat and do the chicken. So simple. I'll do some pics on Sunday when I'm done with my cook. Thanks guys.
        Yet another reason why I joined the pit

Consider hammering the boneless breasts to an even thickness for even doneness. The skinny end will get super well done before the fat part is even rare if you don't. That's assuming you're using boneless breasts of course.

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm thinking about just cutting off the thinner sections to keep the chicken thickness as even as possible. I am hoping this will help keep the chicken breasts moist. We'll see. I'll post pics on Sunday when I'm done. Thanks AZRedneck

I'd just do the chicken enchiladas indoors following this recipe. The resulting enchilada sauce is really what makes the dish. Good Luck ! --Ed

You may have to fool with clicking the image to enlarge it so you can read, etc. Let me know if you're having problems with the screen capture and I'll come up with Plan B.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FireShot Screen Capture #009 - 'Chicken Enchiladas with Red Chile Sauce' - www_cooksillustrated_com_recipes_67-chicken-enchiladas-with-red-chile-sauce.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	231560

Comment

Steve B, Basically I a agree with fuzzydaddy! This should be an easy Cook, you won't have to Start the Chicken before your Beef is in the Faux-Cambro! Cook at 325* F Indirect until the Chicken reaches 145*-150* then Direct until 165* Breast, 170-175 Dark Meat! On average the time should be 45 Mins to 1 Hr! I usually use the Weber and Vortex!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	981.4 KB ID:	231608Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	7 Size:	957.8 KB ID:	231610
      Attached Files

Comment

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent Cook! Excellent Advice! Temps and Timing are spot-on! --Ed

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, Danjohnston949 , Bee-Yoo-Ti-Ful cook!!! What kinda sauce you got goin' on in that there stainless bowl? ;-)

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic photos! Just had a grilled cheese sandwich because my leftovers from the weekend's cook ran out. These photos are almost unfair.

Lots of good temp advice on here already. My only suggestion is to make sure to brine whatever chicken you plan to cook, especially breasts. I use a quarter cup of kosher and one third cup light brown sugar in half a gallon of cold water (double it all for more chicken). In the fridge for from two hours to overnight. Has worked for me really well. Good luck!

Comment

@Mr Bones, The Sauce is Called "Raising Cane's BBQ Dipping Sauce! SteveFromLafayette provided it and You should be able to find it in the Recipe Section under Sauces! It is a Very Good Dipping Sauce! Let Me know if you find it or not?
        Last edited by Danjohnston949; October 20, 2016, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• bchbum12
          bchbum12 commented
          Editing a comment
          Does not appear to be there any longer. Unless I'm more blind than usual.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I could not find it either, maybe we're both blind :-)

SteveFromLafayette, Steve Long Time No Hear! I hope You and Yours faired Well during the recent Rains and Floods!

Comment

DWCowles when you did your chuckies a week or so ago did they hit a stall?? And if so about what temp? Thanks for any info.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve B if I remember correctly it was around 160

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            I did a small chuck ( 1lb 9.9 oz ) recently. IMHO, it stalled around 153, and the stall lasted about 2 hr 5 min. HTH -- Ed

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            It looks like I have had 2 stalls so far. 1 at 151 and another at roughly 174. I am now at 7 hrs and still going. IT are at 185 and 190. I also kicked up the temp to 275-280 about an hour ago. I had been running temps around 237-252 all day. Still gotta do my chicken after the chuckies are done.

Sorry I'm 9hrs into the cook.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you wrap?

No @DWCowels should I have and at what temp??? Thanks.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Steve B most wrap at 170 the last one that I did I took it to 180 before wrapping.

Good to know. I may have screwed this one up but we'll see when all is said and done.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I messed up. Didn't take any pics after pulling. But did get 1 before I took off the pit. As best I can tell very good smoke flavor but they may be a bit dry when I reheat. There's always tomorrow. Thanks for your help DWCowles can't put pic on reply sorry

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            How did it pulled? When reheating set oven at 225-250 wrap in foil with a little beef broth and enjoy Steve B

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the advice.

Hate to say but I don't know yet. There in the cambro right now. It took too long so we're having the chicken enchiladas. I'll pull the chuckies after dinner. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0842.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	232715

Comment

Beautiful enchilada plate, there! Looks like it could have ended much worse!

What kinda sauce didja use on th' enchiladas? Jus' curious...

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I cheated on the sauce. Store bought. Not enough time to do everything.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here