Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some more chicken rub receipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some more chicken rub receipes

wanting to do a few chickens this weekend. Maybe 5 or more. Besides the S&g rub and poultry rub (which I already have waiting to be used), does anyone have some others that they would like to share? Wanted to have a variety. Plus I eat a lot and like extra drums,legs,thighs,wings and lots of breasts.any help and I would be mighty grateful.

My rib rub is pretty tasty on chicken too. I use it as the dry brine for ribs, butts, and chicken since it has salt in it.

Comment

Thanks a bunch. I'll whip up a batch and give it a shot. Any others?

Comment

Here's a great one I have used that I learned in Harry Soo's class. It seems weird but gives chicken a beautiful color and tastes great!

First, use a 50/50 mix of Tang (yes that weird orange drink) and Country Time Lemonade powder. Apply to chicken and let rest about 1/2 hour.

After chicken has sweat and the tang and country time are on and tacky, apply a coat of SYD all purpose rub
        • 4 tbsp Kosher Salt
        • 2 tbsp White Granulated Sugar
        • 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
        • 2 tbsp California Mild Chili Powder
        • 2 tbsp Paprika
        • 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
        • 1 tbsp Granulated Garlic
        • 1 tbsp Black Pepper
        • ½ TSP Cayenne Pepper (use sparingly or not at all)
        I love this recipe! I usually sauce it afterwards. It's a good proper bbq chicken recipe

Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	227944

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Taller fer sure ...

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I used to look like till I started eating a bunch of BBQ and turned human. That's what happens after you smoke one too many fatties!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Crazy interesting tip!! I'm gonna have to try this. I think we have a huge container of Tang from the last time we went fishing in Canada!! Nice stacks of lumber behind you too. Your set......for a while anyway!

Pit Barrel Cooker All-Purpose Pit Rub is good on Chicken.

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I've used Meathead's Memphis Dust with excellent results on poultry (esp. duck), too.

Anxious to see what others have to say. I like S&G rub but don't love it and I too am looking for some more options so not to wear out my typical use.

My wife and I both like to marinate chicken in Italian Salad Dressing for a day or two... Not a rub but is a good option.
        My other typical option is MMD... Like MBMorgan said... I tend to use Meathead's Memphis Dust with great results... especially when I'm doing ribs too since I only have to mix up one kind of rub then!

I want to try Huskee 's and smokinfatties 's recommended rubs...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Nate , I do various, according to who's gonna eat it. Most usually, I do some 'nekkid', some with regular ol' Mrs. Dash, and some (mine) with my own Cajun seasoning mix.

• Nate
          Nate commented
          Editing a comment
          Mr. Bones , sounds good. I have used a rib rub before and sauce after doing the marinade but kind of felt like it was a waste of doing the marinade when I did it that way... may sprinkle some dash or Tony's on it next time though... Actually have a bag marinating right now for Friday night.

• Atalanta
          Atalanta commented
          Editing a comment
          Another for the Italian Dressing. It's especially good when we're baking it - put it and the chicken (parts) in a pan and let them get friendly. Then toss in some onion and lime and bake. When its done, mark on grill. I then save the juice (skim the fat and chunkies) and use it in risotto.

+1 on MMD. Also, Herbs de Provence I get from Penzeys, and salt+pepper+garlic powder.

Comment

Weber roasted garlic and herb seasoning. It is awesome on chicken and pork, and veggies too.

Comment

This is close to the Thai blend we like to use on Chicken (goes great on pork too). The one we use is from the Little Thai Cookbook. I make a big batch in advance and when we use it we add diced onions and some "rooster sauce."

4 parts paprika <-- next batch will have smoked paprika to see how it tastes
            2 parts turmeric
            2 parts coarsely ground black pepper
            2 parts ground coriander
            2 parts ground fenugreek
            1 part dry mustard
            1 part ground cumin
            1 part ground ginger
            1/4-1/2 part cayenne powder (to taste) <-- I omit and use the rooster sauce
            Last edited by Atalanta; October 7, 2016, 08:00 AM. Reason: trying to do recipes in parts rather than volume (easier international conversion IMO)

Comment

BBBR is good on chicken, nice and spicy.

Herb Rub:
              1 tblsp terragon
              1 tblsp powdered fennel
              1 tsp onion powder
              1 tsp garlic powder
              1 tsp black pepper

BBQ Rub:
              2 tblsp chili powder
              2 tspn brown sugar
              1 tspn white sugar
              1 tspn powdered ginger
              1/2 tspn nutmeg
              1 tspn black pepper
              1 tsp onion powder
              1 tsp garlic powder
              pinch cayenne to taste

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                We really like tarragon with chicken.

Feel free to try my chicken rub if you like.

Comment

• MattTheGR8
                MattTheGR8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks, I hope you enjoy it.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Any suggestions on a suitable substitute if I can't find any chervil? I'm sure it is in the stores, I just can't recall seeing it.

• MattTheGR8
                MattTheGR8 commented
                Editing a comment
                Dried parsley would probably be my first choice if I couldn't find chervil. If I think of another good substitute the next time I'm into my spice cabinet I'll let you know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Poultry Rub.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	228154
              That's going to make a lot of rub. Obviously, I don't put the peel on until I have put the rub on. Don't mix the peel with the jar you are keeping the rub in. I finish w/ my favorite BBQ sauce.

Comment

This rub has served me well.
                • 2 1/2 tablespoons fine ground black pepper
                • 1 tablespoon onion powder
                • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
                • 1 tablespoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
                • 2 tablespoons mild New Mexico style chili powder
                • 1 to 2 tablespoons chipotle or cayenne powder (how hot do you want it?)

Comment

So what did you end up using?

Comment

Sorry it took so long to get back to ya work has been crazy. Starting 6 day work weeks till feb. anyway, I tried some but only had 5 chickens. When I got home, kim asked me why on earth did I buy "tang" and lemonade as her eyes were rolling to the back of her head. After I explained why I needed 5 chickens for the two of us (our daughter is very picky when I cook. I think it's a teenager thing. Her loss my gain. More for me). Kim thought it was a gross concoction. But being a believer of this website and members (havnt been steered wrong yet) I proceeded. Kim wanted plain. Only salt pepper and garlic. Go figure. 2nd was S&g. 3rd was bbbr, 4th was tbob4 receipe and low and behold was tang man smokinfatties. To cook was pretty basic. 275 with apple and cherry for a couple of hours ( I keep it low cause that gave me time away from the house so I wouldn't hear the complaining, also gave me time to put the grill I got for 10 bucks up and running for this cook. Added a high pressure line 5 psi to it that i can adjust the flame. Now it's an ultimate searer. A blow torch. I DO NOT recommend this unless you know what your doing. Replace hose and regulators with manufactures recs only, or you will have a bomb waiting to blow yourself up)

when they it got to 140, I removed and to the searing station they went. (the gasser) I noticed the skin was already crispy but wanted more (that's what kim wanted,crispy skin, so that's what I gave her). When thermo works had a sale awhile ago it bought a few of em and used them for spot checking which is not easy working 5 chickens at a time. I will say, it keep me busy. Anyway I got em done and I must say all was good.
                    now I've done plain, S&g and bbbr before which is good, but like I said I wanted something different. I knew the tang and lemonade would give it a citrus flavor so I knew it would be a hit.
                    Tbob4 receipe was also very good
                    now the real test. The woman. Will it pass the "family test".
                    I gave kim a hunk of plain. Which she liked. Then mfs (more food syndrome), which is a cousin of MCS, got the best of her. Out of the corner of her eye I see her take another chunk outta both of the new receipes. I didn't say nothing.
                    Later that night she admits to me that they both were really good. Asked her if they were to spicy for her and she said no. Go figure. I didn't tell her which one had the tang and lemonade. It was a successful cook. and had lots of leftovers that I froze and used thru out the week in salads and beer and cheese and crackers.
                    Since I didn't have time for pics, it never happened. But my tummy says different.
                    Now when I do some more chickens, I have this thread and will be trying the others that I didn't have time to make. Thanks everyone for the inputs.
                    Today it's not chickens, it's a 6 lb beef tenderloin from the chest freezer. Kims says I have to cook the meat in thar before I can buy more and I know meat sales are right around the corner.

Comment

• Atalanta
                      Atalanta commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now I'll have to try the tang and lemonade.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here