Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken wing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken wing help

Hey guys,

I've been browsing the forums for a while now, but have never posted. First, let me say what a great community this is! I've learned a lot from reading the articles and everybody's thoughts on the forum. Thanks for everything.

At any rate, my wife's uncle from Italy is coming with his new wife. He loves American food - I was going to make ribs but her dad already did. I was going to make brisket and beans, but guess what - my wife's dad already took them to a bbq joint (they are staying with wife's mom and dad for a week before coming over).

So at this point, I'm thinking of those 8 oz burgers since I've made them before and they are amazing.

I'm also going to be grilling (or smoking?) wings. Anyone have any advice? I was thinking of putting them on the performer with a light rub and then making a couple of sauces, then putting some on and glazing it. I was thinking regular wing sauce and that DCMumbo sauce, which looks great.

I was just hoping someone might have a few tips. Is it best to do 225 and then sear? Or a constant 325 or so? I'm thinking some hickory and cherry wood for smoke. Is brine necessary? Or just a simple salt brine for 30 min or so?

Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to post pics.

Take care,

Charley

p.s. I love authentic Italian food. But you should see what they want to eat when they visit. Publix friggin' donuts, if you can believe it. Donuts and things like chinese food. They don't have them over there.

Welcome Charley! I think burgers and wings are a brilliant idea. To answer your question, I'd cook the wings at 325F. This will crispen the skin as the meat cooks. I missed it if you posted this, but what kind of grill are you using? If charcoal then check the skin once the meat gets close to final temp and sear if if needed (usually it does for me).

When you have a moment please read my Welcome Letter as well as my Tips post. Tip #1 is especially super awesome as it will show you how to complete your signature. Huskee also has a great write up on how to post photos (hint - we don't like the camera icon method)

Comment

Ha! Thanks for info and thanks for the Tips...I'll take a look at it shortly. I'll probably be doing the wings on the performer so I can smoke the burgers for about ten minutes as well. Then I'll be transferring the burgers to the gasser and grill grates.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Another Pit member from Tampa. Awesome! You have got to make it to the Plant City Pig Jam Nov. 21 & 22. I will be competing for the first time

• Charley from Tampa
        Charley from Tampa commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, Fl. I'd love to go. Whereabouts are you located?

One thing to remember, your ribs will ALWAYS be better than a rib joint's. So if you had your heart set on ribs and/or brisket, I would encourage you to proceed and soak up the oohs and ahhhs! However, like Pit Boss says and I agree, wings and burgers are as American as ribs & brisket and can be mouth-wateringly delicious so you really can't lose. I think Plan B is much cheaper too. Be sure to share pics! (And welcome to The Pit!)

Comment

If they love Chinese then they will love these wings:

Pat dry your wings and season with salt. Place on a cooling rack and refrigerate uncovered overnight. I have gone 48 hours without any issues

Sauce: All ingredients eye balled.
        • 1 Cup orange marmalade (I love smuckers brand)
        • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
        • 1/3 cup rice vinegar
        • 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
        • 2 tablespoon Sambal oelek (or any asian hot sauce). Add more if you want spicey
        • 3 cloves garlic grated or finely minced
        • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
        Place in a sauce pan and bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and simmer until slightly thickened.

Set grill for indirect cooking, heat to 350, coat wings with a neutral oil( I love peanut oil) place wings on grill.
        When they are almost done, dunk them in the sauce and place them over coals until slightly charred and crispy.
        Dunk them in the sauce one more time and serve.

Hot Maple Mustard wings:
        Ingredients eyeballed
        Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl (no cooking involved) and dunk wings when they're almost done. Place wings over hot coals to caramelize and slightly char.
        • 1/3 cup real maple syrup
        • 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard
        • 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
        • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
        • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
        • Harissa or Sriracha to taste
        Last edited by Ernest; October 1, 2014, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Huskee,

Thanks for the input! I'll tell you this...I began cooking in earnest about ten years ago...I used to just cook beer can chicken on the grill. My (then) future father in law told me not to be a "one trick pony" because I liked cooking it so much. Many Alton Brown shows, cooks illustrated magazines, and calories later, I can say I cook well. However, he is a former pizzeria owner and can cook the pants off of 99% of everyone, so his ribs are awesome (plus, I've had them and they kick butt).

As for the brisket....well, who knows how good that was. I don't know which joint he took them to. I doubt the beans were any good, though. The only good bbq joint beans I've had were at "happy jacks" in Lakeland, but that guy unfortunately closed down.

At any rate, ribs would have been really easy. I just like to put a rub on and cook 'em. I then glaze and finish. For some reason....(and I'm in very humid FL weather) my cook times are literally HALF what is recommended. I finish ribs in 2.5 hours at most. And we're talking fall off the bone ribs at 225.

Ernest,

Thanks for the recipe. I'll try that as well as the DCMumbo or whatever it's called, along with hot wings. Costco has some pretty cheap wings available.

I will definitely show some pics!

Comment

Thanks for asking the question Charley, because now I have a couple recipes for wings from Ernest! Those sound really good!

Comment

If he wants American, you gotta do bacon, a bacon weave pork loin would be pretty great!

Comment

Dude, I think wings would be just fine. Go for it.

Comment

I did some wings recently on my Performer with Smokinator, while doing a brisket. My temp was about 240 when I put the wings on the Hovergrill - above the brisket. So I'm not sure what the temp was at that position. These were defrosted wings from Costco and I wanted to do them a little low to make sure the centers were cooked. They cooked for 30 minutes and then I seared them on my gas grill for just a few minutes.They picked up a little bit from the red oak and then I tossed them in Anchor Bar's buffalo wing sauce. And, of course, used them for their actual purpose - as a vehicle to eat bleu cheese dressing :-)

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                    I did some wings recently on my Performer with Smokinator, while doing a brisket. And, of course, used them for their actual purpose - as a vehicle to eat bleu cheese dressing :-)
                    Amen to that, Burn. I use wings as a scooper for ranch dressing. Can't get enough!

Comment

Definitely dry brine with salt and cook at 325 for crispy skin. I'd probably hold the sauce until after they are cooked, but that is just my preference. As you were talking about it, I thought about MH's Mojo Sauce, might be good on wings.
                      Last edited by bbantel; October 5, 2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here