Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little local competition this weekend - Need YOUR HELP with Half Chicken cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little local competition this weekend - Need YOUR HELP with Half Chicken cook

My BBQ Friends,

This BBQ hobby has me having fun and making friends all around. This weekend's edition is a local competition, Smokin' on the Grove, in nearby Sulphur, LA. I entered another local compeition in May, and knew absolutely nothing about a competition before I got there. I hadn't even watched one of those BBQ Pitmaster shows until after that. Now that I have watched all 3 seasons of the show that are on Netflix when I was sick a couple months ago, I'm an expert...lol

This competition is utilizing the IBCA Rules,and they call for cooking a half-chicken, with wing tips on. I've never cooked this way. We are some dark meat eaters, so it's been leg quarters or thighs for me. (Chicken, Spare Ribs and Brisket.)

My only cooks for whole chicken's, I bought a hen (not a young fryer), and it was TOUGH!

I use WSM's, and will bring the Dryer-Smoker for the cook, because it's just so fun!

I'd love any help from you on a half-chicken.

I'm getting my camping gear together to pitch a tent and spend the night in the Grove in sulphur hangin with some friends and my smokers. This is going to be fun!

paul

The judges will eat mostly from the chicken breast because they are using plastic knives and forks. Inject or marinate for sure and Parkay is your friend

Comment

Take a look at the link

Comment

Paul - check out the Ultimate Smokey Turkey recipe. I use it with chickens for test runs before Thanksgiving and Xmas.

Obviously you'd keep the wing tip on, but otherwise the process should be similar.

Our grilled and smoked turkey recipe and tutorial make your ordinary holiday meal extraordinary! Here's everything you need to know about making the ultimate holiday bird. We also bust some myths, discuss side dishes, and so much more!

Comment

Thom, Did you have a specific threat on bbq-brethren.com that you liked? There is a lot of content over there to look through.

Thanks, bbantel

Comment

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=93635. Sorry about that... I remembered the thread but didn't post the link properly

Comment

Well, I'm still thinking about my plan. I'm going to do some "during the competition" pre-cooks during the evening and night, so I can learn the cooking time for smoking at 275 degrees. My chicken cooking in the past has been thighs and generally at 225-250. In any event, I'm going to have fun!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here