Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole chicken dry brine question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole chicken dry brine question

Hey folks, new member here with a question. I recently purchased Meathead's book, and surfing this site. One thing I'm a little confused on is the dry brining of chicken. I have a Tyson whole chicken, about 6lbs, that I want to grill up this weekend. I remember reading that with whole chickens and turkey that you need to look out for birds that have salt added already. I looked for some of the key words Meathead mentions like, enhanced, self basting, etc. The label says "contains up to 12% chicken broth, sea salt, and natural chiken flavorings"

Would you give me your opinion on if you would brine this bird, or assume that the already added sea salt is sufficient. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Welcome to the Pit ... and I sure wouldn't brine that bird.

Comment

Welcome E.W. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute.

Comment

• E.W.
        E.W. commented
        Editing a comment
        I did forget that part, I will get on that today.

• fuzzydaddy
        fuzzydaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks E.W.

Welcome to from Indiana.

Not sure what rub or seasoning you are planning on using on that bird... but I wouldn't add much if at all any salt especially if whatever you are going to use on it for a seasoning already has salt in the mix.

Comment

• E.W.
        E.W. commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Most of the rubs I use have no salt added. I have been dry brining beef and pork for so time now, but my hang up is with poultry. I don't cook much of it because it is not my preference, but I am trying to get more well rounded in my cooks.

• Nate
        Nate commented
        Editing a comment
        E.W. honestly I cook a good bit of chicken and have never hurt it by adding a little salt but I fairly consistently buy the same brand so I know what I'm getting. Trial and error. If you are doing quarters do some with a dry brine and some without and see what you think.

I definitely wouldn't brine .... It's going to have plenty of salt. I would let it sit in the fridge on a tray, unpackaged, to let the skin dry

Comment

• E.W.
        E.W. commented
        Editing a comment
        This sounds like something I will try. I don't have much experience with poultry as it is not a preference of mine. Thank you.

You really need to check the SODIUM content on the package. Saltiness is subjective. I've added a salty rub and a salty injection to every turkey I have cooked and they were all swimming in a solution. I recently had a boneless picnic that had "plenty salt" in its solution that was bland as crap.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, we tend to prefer to add salt after the meat is cooked. Most of my family is quite salt sensitive, taste wise. So, if someone is labeled like this chicken, I don't add salt at all. :-)

I agree with the "no dry brine" approach to something with that stuff injected.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        You can always add salt after it is cooked. It is pretty well impossible to take salt away.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here