Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tandoori Masala Style Chicken Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandoori Masala Style Chicken Legs

Chicken legs were $.99/lb at the market last week so I got 3 lbs. I wanted to try something different so I bought some Tandoori Masala seasoning from Amazon and used it on the legs

I dry brined the legs for 6 hrs, then oiled, and rubbed them for another 12 hrs.

Placed in the smoker at 325*F and about 50 min later they were done.

They were very good. What I would do differently the next time; I would tine the chicken before oiling and rubbing. I would rest with the rub for 24 hrs at least and I would cook them faster. Either go over to the gasser on direct medium heat or crank up the smoker to 375-400*F

Looks great! I have an Indian family across the street who hook me up with several seasonings, been waiting to try on something, looks like chicken is a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
      Looks great! I have an Indian family across the street who hook me up with several seasonings, been waiting to try on something, looks like chicken is a good idea.
      Wow, that will be great and learn from them.

Comment

Looking good Barry! What grill did you cook the legs on?

Comment

• Marauderer
          Marauderer commented
          Editing a comment
          I used the RecTec for these. I will probably use the Davy Crockett next time as it was a small (6) amount and it is working now.

Nice thread!

Comment

I really like tikka masala, when done in a pan on the stovetop, anything with high flavor and a pleasantly tolerable spice (which defines masala to the T). I had never thought of smoking whole pieces marinated in it. You never cease to inspire me Mr Reade!

Comment

Looks great Barry, may have to give those a try soon

Comment

Great idea, Barry. I bet those legs were tasty. I'm a sucker for all of the Indian spice profiles, usually the hotter the better. I'm going to try this on some chicken breasts and thighs. Keep these tasty tips coming!

Kathryn

Comment

You Guys ( For this you are a guy Kathryn) are the best and really inspire me to to better. Thanks for all the encouragement!!

Comment

Those chickens look really good! I love Indican spices. If you want to, try cinnamon the next time. I find cinnamon and lemon go very well with chicken.

Comment

• Marauderer
                    Marauderer commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Henrik, that sounds like a good plan.

some tandoori recipes I've looked at call for marinating the chicken in buttermilk or yogurt overnight (the acid in the buttermilk/yogurt is supposed to tenderize the meat). From what I've read from Meat Head (on the website) about marinating is that the buttermilk/yogurt marinade would have some effect, but not very much. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? I have a hard time thinking that the buttermilk would really get into the meat and do much good...i.e. a waste of time.

M - the chicken looked delicious. Saw your thread on the turkey as well. I'm going to practice on a chicken this week. Canadian Thanksgiving is in a couple weeks (Mon Oct 13). I'm going to try my Napoleon Apollo smoker. I know it's not a Weber, but I got a great deal on it......and it's Canadian....
                  Last edited by SaskatoonBusche; September 29, 2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SaskatoonBusche View Post
                    some tandoori recipes I've looked at call for marinating the chicken in buttermilk or yogurt overnight (the acid in the buttermilk/yogurt is supposed to tenderize the meat). From what I've read from Meat Head (on the website) about marinating is that the buttermilk/yogurt marinade would have some effect, but not very much. Does anyone have any thoughts/experience on this? I have a hard time thinking that the buttermilk would really get into the meat and do much good...i.e. a waste of time.

M - the chicken looked delicious. Saw your thread on the turkey as well. I'm going to practice on a chicken this week. Canadian Thanksgiving is in a couple weeks (Mon Oct 13). I'm going to try my Napoleon Apollo smoker. I know it's not a Weber, but I got a great deal on it......and it's Canadian....
                    Hi Sas, I have noticed also reading around that buttermilk/yogart is used in a marianaid. I need to read up about it more. Thanks for the kind words. The chicken was excellent. I will be using a different technique on the next 6 legs I do.

Comment

Good luck on the next go around, M. We love curry dishes, but we've only made Tandoori and butter chicken at home (and when I say we, I mean my wife. Although I helped with the tandoori one time). But we only used the oven. Time to use the smoker methinks. Of course, there's a few places in town that serve outstanding East Indian food, and sometimes it's good to leave it to the professionals!!!! The naan....hot from the oven (tandoor?)......drooool.

Comment

Originally posted by SaskatoonBusche View Post
                        Good luck on the next go around, M. We love curry dishes, but we've only made Tandoori and butter chicken at home (and when I say we, I mean my wife. Although I helped with the tandoori one time). But we only used the oven. Time to use the smoker methinks. Of course, there's a few places in town that serve outstanding East Indian food, and sometimes it's good to leave it to the professionals!!!! The naan....hot from the oven (tandoor?)......drooool.
                        I am going to make Naan on my RecTec. I have already baked an apple pie and chicken pot pies and they were great. Just a hint of smoke in the crust. The next time I make bread it will be on the RecTec also. It is a great outdoor, wood fired (even if they are pellets) oven. I am using Cookinpellets perfect mix pellets. If I had a Stick Burner I would use it as an oven also.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here