Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Back to Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to Basics

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	211893 Haven't cooked this in a long time: Smoked whole chicken (split in half for the grill). Dry brine for about three hours, MMD, KBB, Weber 22", SnS. If the missing wing is any indication I'm going to wonder why we went so long between smoked chicken cooks.

Looks sweet.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Steve B. Having it with baked beans and Brussels sprouts. Good meal.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      How long was was the cook and at what temp??

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      My kettle runs hot so temp was between 325-340, running at higher end of that range. Cooked faster than I expected, about an hour and twenty mins. Meat was moist in all parts of the bird. Smoke was perfect. Skin uneven but fine.

Dude that looks awesome.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
      Reds Fan 5 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jon Solberg, thanks! It was a good meal. Should have mentioned in first post I used Apple chunks for smoke.

Chicken done right.

Comment

Awesome bird! You did good, very good!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, fuzzydaddy. The importance of a thermometer was never more clear than on this cook. I expected 90 mins- 2hrs. Was at target temp in an hour-twenty. Had I not had a thermometer would have incinerated it.

Very, very pretty

Comment

Nice looking chicken. Good job!

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, properly smoked/grilled chicken is perhaps the most underrated BBQ meat of all time, factoring in ease to cook, taste and price. Nice work!

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Huskee. Agree on how underrated chicken is. Been over a year since I've smoked a whole chicken and I'm not sure why.

Reds Fan 5, Your BBQ'd Chicken Looks Fit to Eat! I agree with your comments on the need for a Thermometer or Two! I usually use my Thermopen Classic for Chicken Legs and Thighs (Can't Afford Wings!)! Great Minds run in the same Ditch we had legs and thighs last night!! Cooked on the Weber Performer Deluxe with a Med Vortex Reverse Sear Style!
      Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Views:	119
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	212079 Click image for larger version

Views:	97
Size:	255.7 KB
ID:	212080 Click image for larger version

Views:	100
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	212081

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look great, @DanJohnston494. What is the sauce in the stainless steel bowl?

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        Reds Fan 5, It is called "Raising Caine Dipping Sauce" @SteveFromLaffayette had posted it and gave me the Recipe! It is very good! I tried to link you to it in the recipe section on the home page! It will be listed under Steve's name in the Sauces and Dips!
        If you have trouble PM me! Dan

• Reds Fan 5
        Reds Fan 5 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Danjohnston494, thanks for the tip. I found the recipe. It sounds great. We will give it a shot.

Our son had dinner at a friend's house last night so we had a half chicken leftover. Pulled chicken nachos tonight!

Comment

What internal temp did you pull at? Got some quality crisp on that skin. Did you sear it, or was it from the indirect cook only?

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bruce R, I cooked with SnS. Indirect to 160 and then a quick sear to crisp skin and IT to 165. We ate it in full bone-in pieces last night. Shredded (pulled) the leftovers for the nachos tonight.

Thanks. Sometimes I've noticed it can be a little dry pulling at 160, so I've been experimenting a little with pulling a little sooner. Probably more operator error than anything, but always curious about what others are doing.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
          Reds Fan 5 commented
          Editing a comment
          Bruce, I was planning to pull from indirect and sear at 150 degrees but was distracted for a minute and it went to 160. I was worried it would be dry. I didn't let it go past 165 degrees on the sear. Skin was not 100% crisp but good enough and meat was moist.

Danjohnston949 That looks great Dan!!! It's always great to get the vortex out. I love doing dummies and wings on the Vortex. It does a great job. I usually do Asian Plum sauce wings, those are my favorite.

Comment

Reds Fan 5 That look great. Spatchcocking the bird is a must, in my opinion. Produces great results.

Comment

• Reds Fan 5
            Reds Fan 5 commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker, agree on spatchcocking. Learned the technique from a Raichlen book several years ago. We don't grill or smoke whole chicken any other way. We have a great local butcher who will spatchcock it for me.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here