Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

curing a whole turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

curing a whole turkey

I want to brine cure a 12lb turkey. Rytek Kutas book "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" suggests a recipe of 5 gallons of water, 1 and 1/2lbs dextrose, 2lbs salt, and 1lb Instacure #1 for a cover pickle method. "Turkey should be submerged in brine at least 4 days at a temp of 38-40 degrees". I am not going to argue with the recipe but 1lb of instacure seems excessive or maybe it is spot on?? I don't know really. That's 3.2 ounces ( @1 tblspn ) per gallon of water. The recipe also does not call out the weight of the turkey either so It leaves me to think that this particular recipe is a general all purpose poultry brine for any size/weight. Obviously a larger bird will take longer to cure. I wont be able to use all that brine in my brining pot anyway. Maybe three gallons max. It also goes on to suggest smoking the bird for 6 hours at 130deg, then 140deg for 4 hours then 160 deg till bird temp is 165 Deg. Well I dont have the smoker to hit such low temps. I just want to throw it on my Marshall smoker and cook it at 225-250 deg till done. I really just want to know what anyone think about the brine recipe. I have had cured turkey b4 and I really enjoy the flavor of it. Frankly I am not a fan of turkey anyway however cured turkey is a game changer for me. Its a totally different taste that I like. Turkey that tastes like ham (sorta)...now that's what im talkn bout!! Well what do yall think bout the Rytek Kutas recipe and my cook method? Thanks for any input.

I have grave concerns about this recipe. The different thicknesses of the meat is a potential trap. The cooking at diff temps sounds amateurish. Alas, because curing is potentially hazardous, I cannot and will not comment on any other recipes. I know my recipes are safe and they work. That is all I can say. PLEASE read this http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ing_meats.html

Comment

• andy barnes
      andy barnes commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know your thoughts as I have reservations as well. I did read your article on curing meat but when I searched the site for a recipe for a whole turkey cure I found none. Would you even recommend brining a whole turkey with or without cure? Thankyou.

• andy barnes
      andy barnes commented
      Editing a comment
      I apologize for my lack of technical efficiency in my last comment asking about brining a turkey with or without cure. There is a distinct difference between brining and curing. My bad.

so how exactly is the bird supposed to get to 165 when you cook it at 160?

Comment

• andy barnes
      andy barnes commented
      Editing a comment
      Yessir I fully understand. I guess i was under the impression that Rytek Kutas" curing methods and the book of Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn were authorataive texts on curing and brining techniques. That's why I asked the pit for advice. Thanks.

• Craigar
      Craigar commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see cooking at 165 C which equates to 329 F until 160 F.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      if you're talking Celsius then yes, but he is cooking the turkey to 160 which implies he's talking Fahrenheit. i doubt he is taking the turkey to 320 degrees. most people don't mix celsius and fahrenheit it's too confusing

Rytek's book is oriented towards classical curing and cold smoking. The result of what you described above would be some kind of turkey ham. There are gentler approaches, depending on whether you want something that's more like fresh, but juicy and smoked. The latter approach is probably more appropriate to your "warm smoking" type of equipment.

I've done it a few times using a standard poultry brine (no curing salt) for 2-3 days refrigerated, then smoked to the desired temps around 225, and not too heavy on the smoke. A lot more delicate, but still delicious.

Of course, I don't use curing salt even when making bacon.

If there's a poultry recipe in Charcuterie, that would probably be a good starting point.

- Ed

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      There is a smoked turkey recipe in Ruhlman's book Charcuterie and it works quite well. Cured and smoked whole turkey makes the best "ham" ever!!!

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      HorseDoctor - I'm going to have to give that a try. I think the book is about 4 down in the left pile right now!

Yikes! I'll have grilled cheese, please ... well done ...

Comment

So you just want to brine it, not cure it? If that is the case, I discuss it in my big turkey article http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html

Comment

To clarify: Brining is a method of salting food so it will be more flavorful and retain moisture. Curing is a method for preserving food by combining salt with nitrite and/or nitrate. More on the subject here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/my_in...n_of_salt.html

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Correct! Brining results in a turkey that tastes like turkey. Curing results in turkey that resembles a very mild "ham". Both excellent but quite different!

HorseDoctor and all. I found the Polcyn Charcuterie recipe for herbed brine smoked turkey on page 80. As Polcyn states: "The curing salt in the brine will give the meat the customary cured flavor". That's the flavor I want. Bird is brining as we speak. No low temp smoking.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the one I've used (and liked). Let us know how it works for you. Enjoy!

Pics, and all that!

Comment

• andy barnes
          andy barnes commented
          Editing a comment
          I will do that for sure...

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160818_191144.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	211844 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_140307.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	211845 Click image for larger version

Name:	20160821_140658.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	211846 Well the 12Lb herb brined turkey using the Charcuterie recipe turned out too salty for the dark meat but okay on the breast meat. Maybe one day in the brine would be enuff. Its okay tho. The instacure definitely made the legs taste "hammy" but not the breast. Think I will inject the bird with the mixture next time and cut brine time way down.
        Attached Files

Comment

• andy barnes
          andy barnes commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure how I got the gargantuan brine pot pick in. Thought I deleted. After slicing and letting the breast meat cool in fridge it had tasty "hammy turkey" flavor. Think I will cut turkey up next time and pull legs/thighs after one day but leave breast (on bone) in two days.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here