Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Crutch Chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Crutch Chicken?

I have tried everything and they either have gooey skin or plastic skin. The last batch was 2 hrs on the MES with an apple bong at 300, then 1 hr to get to 165 on the grill with IH at 300. I now have 3rd degree burns on my round belly from the juices, but the skin was tough. Foil wrap for an hour????

You need to cook chicken at 350-375 for decent skin (325 minimum). Crutching would only make it worse.

Comment

What MBMorgan said

Comment

I guess you can crutch it if you're going to pulled it.

Comment

Confused .. cooking it kinda semi sorta slow for chicken to get smoke, then grill to crisp. Tough skin 2 hrs in at 300 on MES. Would 375 fix that? I am hard headed and wont try anything that doesnt make sense. Wrapping, saucing, or even DF makes more sense than cooking hotter than I smoked to soften up the skin.

Comment

• rat88
            rat88 commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess i should add what kind on MES... crappy un insulated, no door seals, no top vent, with an FD bong on the side

Originally posted by rat88 View Post
          Confused .. cooking it kinda semi sorta slow for chicken to get smoke, then grill to crisp. Tough skin 2 hrs in at 300 on MES. Would 375 fix that? I am hard headed and wont try anything that doesnt make sense. Wrapping, saucing, or even DF makes more sense than cooking hotter than I smoked to soften up the skin.
          MES? DF? Please enlighten me/us. Might have to add those to our acronym list.

Anyway, why do we wrap our typical BBQ meats? What happens to you if you wear a wet suit on a hot day? Your sweat can't evaporate, you overheat and possibly die. Meat, when wrapped (crutched) can't 'sweat', which in the case of some BBQ meats is a good thing, it's how we speed through the stall such as with a brisket or a pork butt. Doing this with chicken locks that hot moist air in that cocoon and doesn't let the skin dry out and crisp up.

Crisp chicken skin needs HOT air, and dry air. To ensure hot airflow and low humidity, don't wrap it. Cook it naked and hot. ("Hot" is relative to the typical low & slow BBQ temps)

My preference for skin-on chicken is 340-360, but Mbmorgan hit the nail on the head, minimum of 325, up to 375. If you're using a sugary rub you should try to stay under 350 though. Saucing the skin will only complicate crisping it, especially if you sauce it early. If you wait until the chicken is done, and skin is crispy before saucing, and eat right away, you'll be ok.

I still find some chicken skin to be thick, and even when crispy it's still thick and can be tough. I'm not a meat scientist but my guess is some breeds of chicken just have a thicker skin? Not sure on that.

Comment

MES is Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. DF is deep fryer The skin turns out better on the grill for me. The smoker seems to make it worse. Cooked around 300 and moved to the grill at 150 IT. It started to get hard to get the thermopen through the skin .about an hour in to the cook. It seems to me that cooking hotter would make it worse. I will try it next time. Adding a top vent to the MES this weekend, maybe that will help

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Electric smoker, that was my guess! Anyway, electric smokers are somewhat tightly sealed and humid. Not the best environment for chicken skin. Are you still using the barrel smoker picture in your avatar?

• rat88
              rat88 commented
              Editing a comment
              I still use the UDS every once in a while. I mostly smoke on the HOS, but have been doing a little more on the cheapy charcoal grill for the long overnight cooks

I'd think more along the lines of cooking the chicken in a 2 zone setup on the grill. Foil packets of wood chips will give you all the smoke you need, and chicken doesn't require all that much. I used to have a Masterbuilt electric and it is way too humid in there if you are trying to get crispy skin, and mine even had a top vent.

Comment

The summit has a smoke box. I usually toss in some apple sticks. Sounds like I should give up on the electric for chicken.

Comment

Dry brine unwrapped in the fridge for a day or two helps the skin start drying out. Also gently separate it from the meat (handle of a wooden spoon) as best you can before the dry brine.

Comment

• rat88
                  rat88 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I usually dont get that much notice, it's more like.... "we are having chicken tonight, go start the grill".
                  She prefers skinless chicken anyway. Smoked chicken skin is something I have never been able to get right on a regular basis. Still looking for that little tip or technique get it better

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

MES? DF? Please enlighten me/us. Might have to add those to our acronym list.

Anyway, why do we wrap our typical BBQ meats? What happens to you if you wear a wet suit on a hot day? Your sweat can't evaporate, you overheat and possibly die. Meat, when wrapped (crutched) can't 'sweat', which in the case of some BBQ meats is a good thing, it's how we speed through the stall such as with a brisket or a pork butt. Doing this with chicken locks that hot moist air in that cocoon and doesn't let the skin dry out and crisp up.

Crisp chicken skin needs HOT air, and dry air. To ensure hot airflow and low humidity, don't wrap it. Cook it naked and hot. ("Hot" is relative to the typical low & slow BBQ temps)

My preference for skin-on chicken is 340-360, but Mbmorgan hit the nail on the head, minimum of 325, up to 375. If you're using a sugary rub you should try to stay under 350 though. Saucing the skin will only complicate crisping it, especially if you sauce it early. If you wait until the chicken is done, and skin is crispy before saucing, and eat right away, you'll be ok.

I still find some chicken skin to be thick, and even when crispy it's still thick and can be tough. I'm not a meat scientist but my guess is some breeds of chicken just have a thicker skin? Not sure on that.
                Just the ones that were in politics.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Or any level of fame I guess

I've cooked whole spatchcocked birds in my MES, but I did it low and slow with smoke, then toss the skin and pull the meat. For crisper skin, i use my gasser with a smoke tube at ~340-360.

Comment

I think I would opt for a higher cooker temp, as opposed to wrapping the bird. I would think that the skin would turn to rubber and you'd wouldn't have gained anything by wrapping. I try not to wrap anything anymore. It really plays games with one of the best parts of BBQ, THE BARK.

Comment

• rat88
                    rat88 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    that was my angle for wrapping. I thought it would soften up the tough skin. I still may try it just to see what happens the next time I get plastic skin. (hope I never get the chance)

I wouldn't crutch a chicken if it had Synovitis in both legs.

Comment

More like steaming chicken to get skin to bite through texture. Dip in sauce and put in a warm space (if done). If close to done, put it back in the cooker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here