Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$9/lb for... Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I bought mine for .69 a pound on sale. Not organic though.

Comment

Did they at least take you to dinner and a movie first?

Comment

$9/lb IS an outrageous price BUT.
        If it is a Heritage breed and it is free range the difference in taste would astound most people.
        Until and unless you've tried a bird right out of the barnyard it is hard to understand the difference between what we buy now and what we had then.
        An example that isn't poultry related but really surprised me?
        My wife and I have been baking pumpkin pies for the Holidays for the past 40 years. GOOD pumpkin pies from store bought canned pumpkin. (which I find out is mostly squash and little pumpkin)
        I stopped by a road side stand earlier in the week and bought 3 heritage seed pumpkins from an Amish Farm. They call them JackBe Littles. Lighter color and small in size. Maybe 2 pounders. 1 pumpkin makes a good size pie.
        I bought 3 of them for $1.00!!!!
        5 minutes in the pressure cooker and slow release.
        The color is lighter yellow rather than orange that we are used to but these pies are out of this world GOOD. Right out of the pressure cooker the pumpkin is sugar sweet.
        I am going to save the seeds and give growing them a try next year. They are that good.
        Back to the turkeys. $9.00 a pound is outrageous but......

Comment

Probably not bad if you consider you are also purchasing carbon credits to cover the emissions from the cook.

Comment

The closest I get to caring about purchasing carbon credits would be the price of natural lump charcoal.

Comment

Just thinking here.
              We all pretty much agree $9/lb for turkey is outrageous. And it is.
              But then I get to looking through the Snake River Farms site and checking their prices for some on the more prime cuts and the $9/lb looks like a bargain. Especially when you figure the meat to waste ratio on a turkey vs some of the bone in cuts at SNR.
              I'd call a $9/lb turkey a splurge to try it special treat just like I'd call an expensive cut from a specialty butcher a treat.
              Interesting how the world of BBQ has progressed over the years.
              It originated as a poor mans way of turning less desirable cuts and left over scrap meat into edible GOOD food.
              Now we seem to search out prime cuts and premium meats to elevate the results.

Comment

Free Turkey's (heritage brand) Click image for larger version

Name:	20161124_172111.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	243463

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here