Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Summer Turkey! p

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks Great! ecowper how was the skin?

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The skin was like Lays potato chips ... Thin, crunchy, and full of flavor. I could have feasted on just the skin

Great job! I love that turkey with S&G rub on it!
    Last edited by Thunder77; July 18, 2016, 10:30 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Hey Georgia rookie 903 here’s the best smoked turkey recipe out there. It’s the basis for my smoked, spatchcocked turkey. You can’t go wrong with this. Also, as fzxdoc says, try a chicken for the first cook. just to get it figured out. The two easiest cooks are chicken and pork butt. And you learn a lot about how your kettle plus SnS works.

ALso, you might consider smoking a chuck roast and making chili .... It’s an easy smoke and you get chili out of it! I posted my method for that recently.

Here’s Meathead’s Ultimate Smoked Turkey - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chick...ed_turkey.html

Here’s my method for chili, which is a riff on the chili recipe from Meathead - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...time-for-chili

Comment

Just a thought on spatchcocking a turkey. They are indeed a much tougher bird than are chickens. But last year before Thanksgiving I went to Lowe's and picked up some Fiskars 5.5" pruning shears that really do the trick with relative ease. I get lots of crazy looks when I take them out, and then I have to explain that they have never seen the garage, much less a shrub. With the knife, I felt like I had a better chance of spatchcocking my hand than the turkey.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh yeah - you definitely want the shears. Don't ask my left index finger how I know that!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I was using a 10" chef's knife and a pair of Wusthof kitchen shears for turkey .... I now have a set of pruning shears per your recommendation! :-D

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here