Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Chicken Georgia Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Chicken Georgia Style

Another successful meal thanks to MH & AR. I did a 5 lb whole chicken, spatchcocked, salted (didn't have time to dry brine) and then rubbed with Meathead's Memphis Dust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	18264

I was running late so decided to do it on my gas grill instead of my kettle. I've not really been successful with chicken in the past (always some part of it undercooked, whether grilled or smoked). I was afraid this wasn't going to come out because I couldn't keep the temp down to 325. I've got 3 burners running vertically so I use the 2 outside and leave the middle off for the indirect cook. Problem is this grill is on its way out with several areas beginning to rust through, including apparently the underside of the left burner so I can't turn it all the way down.

Anyway, it ran around 350 with a small water pan and a chunk of cherry wood sitting above the left burner. In an hour everything I checked was over 165. Flipped it to the direct side to give the skin a little more crisp. Worked out really well. Dark and white meat both moist. GF, who wasn't thrilled at the idea of smoked chicken, said I found a recipe that she really liked. I was surprised how different MHMD tasted on chicken versus the pulled pork I did last weekend - the sweetness really came through. I think next time, in addition to a dry brine, I'll split the rub and put it both under and on top of the skin. You get bites of skin with the dark meat, but the breasts were so thick that there were bites without the rub. I'm also going to mix up some MHMD low-carb style with stevia and a lower carb brown sugar made with blackstrap molasses.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	18265

Looking at this photo, it's clear I need to work on my chicken cutting skills.

Don't matter how you cut it as long as it tastes good. Looks excellent.

Comment

Use a nice pair of kitchen scissors and chop right through the backbone and neck. It's not the easiest thing in the world but not too difficult either. And like Regliner says, that's purely aesthetics, taste is all that matters. A spatchcocked chicken is one of my favorite things to do too. Chicken is so cheap compared to other BBQ meats, and soo delicious.

If you can keep your temp down closer to 325 you may have better results. I'd encourage you to practice on your kettle indirectly. The flavor can't be beat!

Comment

Nice Que Burn!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here