Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken on WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken on WSM

Took the drip pan out and a mostly wood fire. Mostly Hickory and a little Pecan. Cranked it up to roughly 425 to crisp the skin then put the lid on and flipped to finish them off. Made my version of the Alabama white sauce....was a great meal indeed. Just wanted to share.

Looks wonderful. That skin...
    Feel free to share your version of the sauce.

Comment

dang that looks good

Comment

Looks awesome man!! Thanks for sharing. You can pack a lot of those little dudes on there. BriggsBBQ

Comment

That does look delicious. So you used no coals and did the entire cook around 425? Would you like to share more details? I would especially like to know about your version of the white sauce. I have not cooked a chicken on my WSM yet. Thanks for sharing with us!

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I used a chimney with a layer of coals in the bottom then fill the rest with wood chunks. Basically try to create a fire in the middle of the WSM.

• BriggsBBQ
            BriggsBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Struggles were keeping it roaring when the top was on. I did use a fan at times blowing directly in the door and had the lid off till things got really hot and some of the fat from the chicken started dripping to fuel the fire.

Looks very good to me.

Comment

White sauce. I watch Meatheads interview with the Bob Gibson new guy. Started with about 50-50 mayo and apple vinegar which was too vinegarly for me. Then I added some more mayo then lemon juice to get a good based I liked. I added some pepper and cayanne. I would like to experiment with simmering the sauce to get the most out of the spices. Also look into adding some honey or molassis to balance the acid with some sweet.

Comment

• Ribber
              Ribber commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. How strong would you say the wood smoke flavor was?

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Was not really that strong. I do not have much experience with Hickory but it does not seem to be as strong as Pecan. Could be because I have Pecan from my Dad's tree and Hickory from the store.

Originally posted by BriggsBBQ View Post
            White sauce. I watch Meatheads interview with the Bob Gibson new guy. Started with about 50-50 mayo and apple vinegar which was too vinegarly for me. Then I added some more mayo then lemon juice to get a good based I liked. I added some pepper and cayanne. I would like to experiment with simmering the sauce to get the most out of the spices. Also look into adding some honey or molassis to balance the acid with some sweet.
            Like you, I found MH's sauce a little too acidic. I'm originally from North Alabama (where every family seemed to have their own version of white sauce). Ours (as I remember it) was a bit sweeter and less peppery. Since the original recipe seems to be long lost, I made Meathead's sauce but with half the pepper (1.5 tsp medium ground) and with 1 TBSP sugar added. It was perfect!

Comment

• BriggsBBQ
              BriggsBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you sir. I kind of threw this one together. Next one will be more thought out for sure. I've got a buddy from South Alabama, might see if he has a recipe

Good lookin yard bird

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here