Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honey Pineapple PBC wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honey Pineapple PBC wings

Sunday NFL backyard tailgating, wings and drinks
    So I thought I'd experiment with a different sauce, buffalo wings are so 1984.

First I needed to clear my mind, that's Twenty Grand cognac infused vodka with Crabbie's ginger beer. Makes a fine cocktail.

Back to wings, I like a sweet with heat. So I got pureed pineapple, Oyster sauce for a little savory flavor, Honey and Gochujang (fermented korean chili paste)

Mix those and tasted as I went along..

Had salted wings and left uncovered overnight. This process gives me the crispiest wings without deep frying.
    Fired up the PBC using Ozark Oak lump charcoal. Rub the wings with peanut oil and placed on the grate

Turn them after 15 minutes. When they're almost done, takes about 40 minutes with my PBC setup running at around 360 degrees, give them a bath in the glaze. Look at the color. You would think that I deep fried them.

Put them back on the grate for about 5 minutes and repeat the bath one more time. Hey look, hot dogs on there too.

Time to eat, no dipping sauce necessary, just an adult beverage.
    These had a subtle sweet pineappley salty taste with a hint of heat from the chili paste.
    I ended up adding about 2 tablespoons each of honey and oyster sauce and about a tablespoon of the chili paste to the pineapple puree. They have these purees at whole foods market or you can puree fresh pineapple.
    FANTASTIC

Last edited by Ernest; September 15, 2014, 09:43 AM.

I want wings now, they look incredible. I find smoked wings have the best texture.

Comment

Ernest,
      Thank you for that recipe. Those wings look amazing! I will be giving them a try using your instructions very soon. Wow! I love being a member of this site. I learn something every time I log on.
      Regards,
      Tim

Comment

Killer wings right there! That drink sure provided inspiration, serving it in a jar is genius. Recipe please?

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Recipe for the drink? Well It came up as a necessity. See, I ran out of the twenty grand vodka.

I needed to fill up the jar so I grabbed some ginger beer and filled it. Now it's my go to cocktail

...and yet again, mankind continues to evolve! . Sounds great, I'll be trying that for sure.

Comment

Looks great! Both wings and cocktail. I agree with Gunder. I now have 3 or 4 wing recipes to try out. Although i like the idea of PBC over the fried.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I tell what, salt the wings a day in advance, leave them uncovered, preferably raised on a cooling rack in a rimmed baking sheet. You'll never deep fry wings again.
            Make sure your PBC is running hot.

• Ricky Good Times
            Ricky Good Times commented
            Editing a comment
            THanks for the tip ernest will try that.

Wow. Those wings look amazing. how much salt did you use for how many wings? Did you have to poke holes in the skin?

Comment

NO poking was involved,
            I really do not measure salt, I go by feel. You will "feel it" when you have added enough salt,

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree. Measuring salt in this context is too...too something...I don't know. I just put it on. No one measures salt when adding it to their fries or their mashed potatoes. Not neceesary!

Ha-ha. Thanks, guys. I know that salting something for taste is an art. I'm referring to a 'dry brine', so to speak. I didn't know if there was a measurement per pound.

Comment

the one thing that urks me about wings is the cost, my wife and I use to purchase them for .50 cents a pound, now they want as much as breast meat. Your wings look great and sound delicious.

Comment

• Charley from Tampa
                Charley from Tampa commented
                Editing a comment
                No crap. I have noticed that too. 3.50 or so a pound??? That is crazy.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I go to an Asian store for wings. $1.20 a pound
                Beats buying at wingstop!!

Great looking wings. Looking forward to trying this with my PBC!

Comment

Just stumbled across this doing random PBC searches, and oh my....those wings look fantastic!

Ernest, do you still use the PBC much these days?

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  cashelton I donated my PBC a few years ago. BUT! I came across one at a store and almost bought it. I'm sure I'll get another one in the near future

cashelton if you hadn't posted on this I probably wouldn't have seen it. Killer post - Ernest was using Gouchujang in 2014 before all the rest of us jumped on the bandwagon. Pretty cool.

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL!! I had been using Gochujang for years before this post. hoovarmin

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here