Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken at 145 Degrees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken at 145 Degrees

Howdy fellow pitmasters.
    Not sure if you all saw this article from Thermpop last week. Basically, they are claiming if you can hold your chicken at 145 degrees for 8.5 minutes, that does the same pasteurization as cooking to 165. Here's the link: http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2016...asted-chicken/

We tried it yesterday. The chicken was juice, tender, and delicious. Simple setup. Slow n Sear, Weber Kettle. 225. Mild apple wood smoke. Dry brine the night before. Spatchcock style. Meatheads Mempis Dust. Sweet Baby Rays about halfway through. Nobody got sick and everyone loved it! Anyone have experience with the 145 method?

I'm thinking I'll bring it up to 150 and hold it there next time to make the meat a little bit more firm. However, these leftovers will feed me at work all week and I'm not complaining.

Good thing the Jewel had buy one get one free on these yard birds! I've got the second one ready to go. I might bring the pit temp up on the second one to 275 to cook it faster.

I saw that article, and I am game to try it out. The science seems sound to me. I have eaten lots of breast pulled at 150 IT, and had no problems at all. Never did it with a whole chicken though. I have one in the fridge I'm going to try it with!

Comment

I did an interview with Harry Soo of Slap Yo Daddy BBQ a few years ago and he went in to great depth (and provided links to FDA safety articles) on this process as he uses it in competitions. It can also be found on the BBQ Brethren site as well. Meathead should have a lot of information here on AR as well.

Comment

Thermoworks got their info from Kenji Lopez-Alt of Serious Eats Food Lab

Comment

This isn't new, but you do have to be very careful on your temps. The difference if I remember correctly is that at 160 degrees you only need to be at temperature for something like 10 seconds before it is safe to eat. The lower you go the time increases dramatically.

Pretty sure this is discussed somewhere on the site, but can't recall where. Will update my post if I find it.

Update: Here is the link to this: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ure_guide.html
          Last edited by Butterman; May 2, 2016, 10:54 AM. Reason: added link to the meat temp guide

Comment

Kenji's book has the following table for chicken:

135 degrees must be held for 63.3 minutes
            140 degrees must be held for 25.2 minutes
            145 degrees must be held for 8.4 minutes
            150 degrees must be held for 2.7 minutes
            155 degrees must be held for 44.2 seconds
            160 degrees must be held for 13.7 seconds
            165 degrees instantaneous

Based on this I started pulling my chicken once it had hit 150 degrees for 3 minutes. The IT raises to about 153 degrees and it is safe, moist and delicious!

Comment

FSIS/USDA time temperature requirements: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here