Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pheasant Breast recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pheasant Breast recipe?

I got to cook up 4 Pheasant breast this weekend. Never had Pheasant before. Got any tips or recommendations for this on the grill? Thanks

It's really lean. This is where I wet brine. Are they whole bone in?

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thawing now, but I think they are boneless.

It is super lean meat. Treat it like chicken and you will be okay I take it to 155- 165 IT I stay on the low side of that.

I also like to cube it up in inch and a half chunks wrap it in bacon. Add a water chestnut maybe. Hold it together with a toothpick. Grill it direct.
    I'm not a big fan of bacon but I do this with pheasant and duck as it is lean stuff. Folks seem to like it.

You can sauce it at the end of the cook if you want.

It's lean and fairly neutral in taste. IMHO. If it's hunted be sure to look for shot as you prep.

Comment

• Fine Swine
      Fine Swine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jon. Might have enough to try it both ways. Looks like I have 8 breast.

I was mistaken. These are bone in. Don't cook any different, right?

Comment

I wouldn't. If their skinless you may want to lay bacon over the breast meat. Did I mention it's lean. : ).

If the whole rib cage is intact I would open it up.
      Last edited by Jon Solberg; May 1, 2016, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Fine Swine, As Jon said the Pheasnt Meat has a tendency to be Dry! My Mom used to Bread and Fry it then into a Casserole Dish with Mushroom Soup out of the Can over it! Then it was put in the Oven until Done (Just Short of Cremation! She called it Pheasant Under Glass! Very tasty I Envy you those Birds! Oh, by the way Mom's name wasn't Martha but her Maiden Name was Stewart!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be doing Mom Stewart's recipe for sure!

Looking forward to the pics.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          Jon Solberg, Jon both Mom(Doris) & Dad(Byron) are gone now, but I will be home some time this summer.
          If I can find her Recipie if there ever was one I will make sure you get a copy! Dan

Wife & I eat a few pheasant a year (like 40-50). It is awesome, but as others have stated, it is LEAN and therefore not the best for grilling. I have a ton of favorite ways to do it but very few are on the grill. If grill you must, marinade & shish-kabob, or wrap chunks in bacon. Probably favorite way is to coat with seasoned flour, brown in butter & EVOO (+/- some fresh mushrooms). Then braise with a little white wine for 30-45 minutes. Add some creme fraiche, sour cream or plain old cream and stir that in. Especially awesome with a side of wild rice! Enjoy.

Lots of other options at <http://honest-food.net/>

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I love Hank Shaw Doc. He's a great resource for me

Here you go. Cut up one and wrapped in bacon. Schweeeet.. Kind of surprised how the bacon insulates the meat. The whole breast was very good as well. Here are a few picts. and thanks again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4019.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	163120 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4022.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	163121 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4024.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	163122 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4025.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	163123 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4028.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	163124

Comment

Fine Swine, Don't Bogart that Pheasant or the Asparagas my Friend! Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

That looks great! We love pheasant too. If you ever need any other wild game recipes check out https://www.fromfieldtoplate.com He's a really cool guy with some killer recipes. I've made his pheasant with grilled avocado pesto and it was delicious.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here