Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie Chicken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie Chicken

I own a KJ Classic and recently bought the rotisserie for the (the Joetisserie heh). Naturally, the first thing that I cooked on it was a chicken. Prep was pretty basic. Cut some of the loose fat off the bird, dry-brined it, tied it and let it sit in the fridge. A few hours later I got the KJ running stable at about 340. At that point I took the bird outta the fridge and gave it a good dose of Meat Church Bacon BBQ rub, then put it on the rotisserie and cooked direct, over the coals. I admit that I was worried about the chicken getting gross from the vaporizing drippings as chicken seems to pick up flavours really easily in the kamado.

Then I threw the bird on the rotisserie and let it spin until IT was 160. Pulled the bird off and let it sit and continue to come up in temp for a few minutes.

My wife usually likes everything cooked over charcoal EXCEPT chicken. When she got home and tried this bird she loved it. The bird was really moist and flavorful. I will be doing another rotisserie chicken over the coals for sure. The only thing that I would really change would be the skin. It didn't get too crispy and I think next time I would open the dampers and crank and the heat a bit for the last 15 minutes or so as it comes to the right IT.

The only real hiccup I hit was that I did not tighten one of the thumb screws for the forks enough. As a result the rotisserie rod was slipping and the chicken didn't turn for about 15 minutes at one point. That didn't cause too much damage thankfully. I won't make that mistake again. I was worried that due to the angle, that the Joetisserie would not allow a good seal with the lid closed and I would not be able to maintain temperatures. As it turns out the seal was still good and maintaining temps was no problem.

Lookin' guuuuud! That chicken must have been juicy and tasty. Congrats on breaking in your Joetisserie with style!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here