Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck

Looking for a good recipe & technique for smoking a duck in an off-set stick burner. Anybody out there have anything?

I did one recently on my PBC and, while not yet perfect (rubbery skin) I did learn a few things:

1. Find a whole duck that has NOT been injected with salt.
    2. Dry brine the duck in the refrigerator to help with that rubbery skin issue.
    3. When ready to cook, dry rub with Meathead's Memphis Dust ... even though designed for pork, it's the best thing ever on duck.
    4. Plan on a HOT cook ... at least 350 deg. F.
    5. Pull at the appropriate temperature (I like 145), serve and enjoy!

Good luck!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      May also want some slits in the breast skin to allow rendered fat to "Escape from Duckatraz"

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      As one of my Aggie friends (don't tell my UT friends I have any Aggie friends) likes to say: "Absotively Posiloutley!!!" ... and I've tried both slits and needle pokes ... slits work better.

• Bacerdawg
      Bacerdawg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I really like the dry brine idea, I have some breasts and also whole ducks a friend of mine hunted recently, I am going to smoke all of them.

This country needs to eat more duck! Goat, too!

Comment

Willy says "goat". How do you cook goat

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Low & slow...😉

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here