Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings and...Vinegar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wings and...Vinegar?

When I first tried Buffalo wings, way back in the early 90s, I distinctly remember a whiff of sharp vinegar arising from the basket of wings and I loved it. Alas, I rarely see vinegar in wing sauce recipes these days. I am a devotee of Frank's hot sauce and will add a teaspoon of two of vinegar to my wings this Super Bowl, but...what say y'all about vinegar in wing sauce?

Interesting thought, I love vinegar myself and will probably give this a try someday. I imagine for most peoples tastes, there is already enough vinegar in the hot sauce itself.

Comment

I worked for a company HQ’d in Buffalo in the mid to late 80’s. “Buffalo Wings” were a new thing then and primarily unheard of outside the region. They were definitely different than what is offered today and I recall a hint of vinegar also. Whenever I was there for business I brought back a batch for my wife. There was a hotel restaurant that actually delivered the wings plane side. They drove a van full of prepacked, fully cooked, and still hot wings by the dozen right on the tarmac and took orders going plane to plane. Different times….

Anyway, I liked the little touch of vinegar in the sauce. I had forgotten about it.

Comment

Agreed, vinegar gave em some zip they just don't have nowadays, things seem to have drifted to a sweeter sauce recently.
        Seem to remember a recipe for Buffalo wings with Franks, melted butter and a coupla tablespoons of vinegar....or to taste....

Comment

The first time I had chicken wings was an appetizer my mom made way back in the '60's (when I was just a lad). It seems like there were various versions of "Chinese" wings (often soy sauce based; teriyaki, orange chicken, ...). Long predating the Buffalo Wing era. Regarding vinegar, seems like Buffalo Wild Wings has some kind of Salt & Vinegar offering, maybe added onto the regular varieties? Never tried it.

Don't see why any one of the many possible vinaigrette-like marinades couldn't be used as a wing sauce. Time to experiment!

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes was standard party fare back in the day. Teriyaki wings baked in the oven. Like you said way before Buffalo Wings. I used to love them.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Buffalo Wild Wings “Salt and Vinegar” wings are awesome. I often get my order mixed up. 1/2 SnV and 1/2 their hottest sauce available.
            Damn I’m hungry now.

Salt pepper garlic cayenne and malt vinegar wings rock

Comment

To me the perfect wing sauce is 1/4 cup Franks Red Hot, 1/4 cup salted butter and 2 tsp white vinegar.

If I want it hotter I’ll add in some crushed red pepper flakes.

Comment

Ingredients
              • ⅔ cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's RedHot®)
              • ½ cup cold unsalted butter
              • 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
              • ¼ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
              • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
              • ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
              • salt to taste

Comment

Willy Way back in the early 90's....Geez, seems like yesterday right?? Anyhow Buffalo Wings were newer on the bar scene as I remember...I was in my early 20's back then, so memory is a very subjective thing...Lol.. I do remember there was a bar on Lincoln Ave Called BW3....(Buffalo Wings 3) I remember the wings there being very tart more so than hot...That was as I recall my first introduction to Buffalo Wings. Hard for me to say, but I think you are right...I think the "Hot" novelty came after the vinegary, spicy, and a little sweet wings they called Buffalo Wings.

Comment

I also like a wing sauce with a vinegar kick from time to time.

I have made the sauce from this recipe a couple of times and really like it, it's not super vinegary but you can definitely taste it. https://howtobbqright.com/2018/02/22...xchickenwings/

I have found a bunch of other sauce recipes that are based around hot sauce and vinegar. Here is one I found here on the Pit I want to try. https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...alo-wing-sauce

Comment

Okay either way. You are right on this one.

Comment

Vinegar makes sense as an ingredient in a wing sauce. Vinegar works great to balance rich meats like pork butt so it seems natural that it would work well with wings--the most fat-rich part of chicken.

Comment

My wing sauce recipe includes vinegar:

I know the recipe recommends margarine. I use butter and just heat until the butter melts, no hotter. I usually toss all the ingredients in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and hit it 30 seconds at a time, then stir, and repeat a couple times until it is melted.

Comment

• Willy
                          Willy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I too remember seeing "margarine only" in those old-days (LOL) recipes. Like you, I've always used butter.

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Willy I think it is because butter does separate if you let it reach a boil. I've found the magic number is to get up to about 115F, and the butter will melt completely while stirring, and it remains emulsified and suspended.

I will point out that most hot sauces you would pick up to make your own wing sauce - Frank's, Texas Pete, Crystal, Louisiana red dot brand, and so on - have vinegar as the first ingredient. Adding another tablespoon straight vinegar per half stick of butter just gives it a little more kick.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here