Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaican Sticky Drumsticks with the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Henrik when you list thyme, is that thyme powder?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question! I use dried thyme that I buy at the supermarket, it is not powder, but looks like many many small 'sticks' if that makes sense, approx 3mm long. So just dried and chopped I guess. A mortar comes in handy here.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's dried thyme leaves. They are what I use.

Well Henrik I made this recipe tonight. I only had ground thyme, and our supermarket didn't have smoked paprika so I omitted that unfortunately, but decided I'd use some smoke when cooking them so a small apple wood chunk joined my charcoal. The sauce blackened nicely without tasting burnt. I am simply not an allspice fan even though I've tried different recipes. But, the smoked chicken and juices combined with all these flavors was very good. Two of my kids loved it and ate the bones clean, my wife really enjoyed it too. My wife says the smoked paprika would've definitely been complementary and I agree.

Thank you fur the recipe, my oldest says this should be our new chicken recipe!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'm glad to hear you tried it! Yes, the paprika really does help. I guess allspice is a bit like coriander, either you love it or don't like it at all.

Here's some photos from my "Henrik's Jamaican Sticky Drumsticks" cook last evening

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG9355.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	134216

Name:	jsd.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	134217

Name:	jsd2.PNG
Views:	329
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	134218

Name:	jsd3.PNG
Views:	310
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	134219

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice...👍

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic pictures!

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      What all dat dandruff arund dat pit???

When the weather gets better here in Cincinnati, I am going to try this recipe on chicken wings. Just bought a new kettle and SnS. Looks good and thanks for the post.

Comment

you had me at bacon....

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
        It was time to cook some chicken drumsticks on the Weber, using the SnS of course. I decided I wanted real sticky drumsticks with lots of flavor, so I created a dry rub and sticky sauce separately for the occasion. It turned out pretty darn good, so I thought I'd share it here.

Note: this recipe is positively loaded with flavors, which is the way I like it. If you want less, use the same rub (same proportions), but only half of it. As for the sticky sauce? Lay it on thick, brother (and sister)

Sticky sauce (for 10 drumsticks, to be used as glaze)
        1 dl honey
        1 dl ketchup
        1 tbsp soy sauce
        2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
        1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
        2 tsp Bourbon
        1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, let it simmer for 5-8 minutes, stir regularly. Let it cool off. Store in the fridge.

Dry rub (for 10 drumsticks)
        1-2 tbsp mustard
        1 tbsp allspice
        1 tsp cinnamon
        1 tsp smoked paprika
        1 tsp ginger powder
        1 tsp onion powder
        1 tsp thyme

Brush the drumsticks with a thin layer of mustard. Mix the dry spices well in a bowl, and sprinkle liberally all over the drumsticks. Everything should be used. Put 5 drumsticks each in 2 plastic bags, and let marinate overnight in the fridge. If there is leftover rub, pour it into the bags.

Fire up the Weber with the SnS in what I call "chicken mode" (325° F). Half a chimney, that is. No water. When the grill is hot, place the drumsticks on the grate for 20-30 minutes of indirect heat. When they are close to 150° F internal temp, brush them liberally with the sticky glaze, and move them over for reverse searing. Let the sauce caramelize.

Serve with some Fettucine other other pasta, and preferably with a large spoon of Greek Youghurt.

This turned out to be one of the better chicken cooks I've done.

Did some jalapeno poppers while at it (with a mature cheddar, sweet chili sauce and bacon)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n132366[/ATTACH]

Drumsticks with dry rub

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n132363[/ATTACH]

Drumsticks on indirect heat

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n132364[/ATTACH]

Drumsticks being reverse seared, with the sticky glaze

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n132365[/ATTACH]

And the end result, pretty tasty

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n132367[/ATTACH]

As always, all my recipes are on my website.

This is a recipe I'll definitely do many times in the future, it was just right.
        Dude!! You killed it. Is it pretty easy to find BBQ equipment/accessories in Stockholm? For instance, I didn't know that they shipped the SNS over the pond. Pretty cool. Great cook and awesome pictures. Henrik

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Well, sort of. You can pretty much find anything Weber. Finding a Primo, Kamado Joe and BGE is also easy. Good charcoal is harder. We don't have Kingsford at all in Sweden. When it comes to smokers like Yoder, Backwoods Chubby, Lang et.c. we're out of luck. The market isn't big enough (yet).

I ordered my SnS via a virtual US address (myus.com). But I see now on the SnS website that they do international shipping.

Meat, on the other hand, is easy. Here are a lot of really good local suppliers.

I just thought I would bump this one up. This is a great recipe. I am pumped I was able to find it!! Highly recommended!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          THANKS!!! for bumping this one up, cuz I missed it before!!! I'm guessing this'd be great on wings as well! Thanks, Henrik for sharing it! BTW, you forgot to specify how much bourbon for the cook. :«)

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Cool, thanks! I did them just two weeks ago, still happy with the recipe.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy it's hard to make a recommended amount, that very much depends on the size of the cook ;-)

Henrik ... have you tried these yet? There's a lot of preparation work but they look and taste fantastic.

Name:	IMG_3722.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	300788 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3729.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	300789 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3725.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	300790

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          They sure look great! Do you have a link to the original post?

Sounds great Henrik.

Comment

Thanks for the bump, as I missed it the first go around. I'm surprised, being a Jamaican recipe it doesn't include scotch bonnets or habeneros.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Good point. I love both of them, may just have to include it next time around.

BUMP! An oldie and a very goodie!

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh Yeah!

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, and yes, very goodie 👌

Looks Great! That may what I may when my grill arrives as the first cook. Thanks for sharing

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            You won’t be disappointed.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats on the new grill. Whatcha gettin'?

Thanks Huskee, getting a Weber 26" Kettle which is to arrive tomorrow. Settled on that for reasons of space and appears it can be a pretty good smoker as well as a BBQ.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            The Weber 26" is a force. There's nearly nothing it can't do and the extra real estate above the regular 22" is impressive! Congrats.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here