Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jamaican Sticky Drumsticks with the SnS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jamaican Sticky Drumsticks with the SnS

It was time to cook some chicken drumsticks on the Weber, using the SnS of course. I decided I wanted real sticky drumsticks with lots of flavor, so I created a dry rub and sticky sauce separately for the occasion. It turned out pretty darn good, so I thought I'd share it here.

Note: this recipe is positively loaded with flavors, which is the way I like it. If you want less, use the same rub (same proportions), but only half of it. As for the sticky sauce? Lay it on thick, brother (and sister)

Sticky sauce (for 10 drumsticks, to be used as glaze)
    1 dl honey
    1 dl ketchup
    1 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
    1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
    2 tsp Bourbon
    1 tsp salt

Mix all ingredients in a sauce pan, let it simmer for 5-8 minutes, stir regularly. Let it cool off. Store in the fridge.

Dry rub (for 10 drumsticks)
    1-2 tbsp mustard
    1 tbsp allspice
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp ginger powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp thyme

Brush the drumsticks with a thin layer of mustard. Mix the dry spices well in a bowl, and sprinkle liberally all over the drumsticks. Everything should be used. Put 5 drumsticks each in 2 plastic bags, and let marinate overnight in the fridge. If there is leftover rub, pour it into the bags.

Fire up the Weber with the SnS in what I call "chicken mode" (325° F). Half a chimney, that is. No water. When the grill is hot, place the drumsticks on the grate for 20-30 minutes of indirect heat. When they are close to 150° F internal temp, brush them liberally with the sticky glaze, and move them over for reverse searing. Let the sauce caramelize.

Serve with some Fettucine other other pasta, and preferably with a large spoon of Greek Youghurt.

This turned out to be one of the better chicken cooks I've done.

Did some jalapeno poppers while at it (with a mature cheddar, sweet chili sauce and bacon)

Click image for larger version

Name:	jalapeno_poppers_sweetchili.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	132366

Drumsticks with dry rub

Name:	chicken_legs_rub.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	132363

Drumsticks on indirect heat

Name:	jamaican_sticky_drumsticks_indirect.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	132364

Drumsticks being reverse seared, with the sticky glaze

Name:	jamaican_sticky_drumsticks_sear.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	132365

And the end result, pretty tasty

Name:	jamaican_sticky_drumsticks.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	132367

As always, all my recipes are on my website.

This is a recipe I'll definitely do many times in the future, it was just right.
    Last edited by Henrik; January 6, 2016, 09:50 AM.

Yum! That looks great. It's on my list next time I find one of those good deals on a pack of drumsticks. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      "I find"??? I thought they found you and jumped in your buggy.
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 8, 2016, 09:36 AM.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Jerod Broussard only that one time. I had to keep tossing them out.

Looks awesome! Great site too! I added it to my news feed.
    Last edited by josht138; January 6, 2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Nice looking chicken and awesome site.

Comment

Looks great !

Comment

Awesome write up as usual Henrik! Looks excellent!

Comment

Henrik, What the Others Said! 👍👍🍗👍👍 Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Proper!

Comment

Henrik ... At what temp did you cook the drumsticks on the indirect side? 350°?

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I cooked them at 325 exactly. I find it very easy to maintain temps with briquettes, since they are all the exact same size, compared to charcoal.

• Breadhead
                  Breadhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you Henrik ...

I'm just learning about the Kettle, SnS and charcoal.

It's been an easy transition from the BGE & lump coal so far.

Henrik, are you SURE you're Swedish? jalapeños? Where's the white sauce? 😀

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha ha! I did serve it with a large spoon of Greek yoghurt, it will have to do as white sauce ;-)

Thanks for making me hungry Henrik

Comment

Henrik, you da man!! I love some drumsticks!! Dumb question: what does dl stand for? dollop? deciliter?
                  Last edited by Thunder77; January 7, 2016, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks! Good question, dl is short for deciliters, I decided to go with the metric system this time 😄

Only way I will eat dark meat.... Q'd like this.......to perfection.

Henrik what is a "dl"
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; January 8, 2016, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
                    Breadhead commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with Spinaker on dark meat being the best part of a chicken.👍

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    See question just above this post. It stands for deciliters, (1/10 of a liter). 1 dl = 0.42 cups, or 3.4 fl. oz.

• Dewesq55
                    Dewesq55 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I third Spinaker and Breadhead regarding dark meat. It's all I buy (unusually leg quarters).

Henrik, when I read Jamaican I was looking for the thyme, scallions and scotch bonnet peppers!

Just made this tonite and can't remember eating a drumstick as good that wasn't deep fried. Thanks Henrik!

Comment

• Henrik
                    Henrik commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Rod! Makes me happy knowing you cooked my recipe! And always good to get a second opinion.

That looks amazing, definitely need to try this one!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here