Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken breasts grilled indirect, deboned, with Huskee's Rib Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• josht138
    replied
    Great cook! As soon as I run out of my latest batch of MMD, I'm going to give your rub a whirl. I am also looking forward to trying your rib method with the application of a coat of brown sugar prior to smoking.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
    Huskee I am guessing you didn't pound the breasts flat. Correct? It looks good. Is your rub posted somewhere? I grilled some pounded and brined breasts tonight on my new Jumbo Joe and have a 10# butt on the BGE for tomorrow. Outside temp is in the 40s and will drop into the 30s over night. The breasts were so so. I have a plan to improve them next time.
    Yeah I usually don't unless I'm making chicken parm or something specifically needing them flattened. I like the plump juicy ones myself...au naturale. My rib rub is linked in the very top post. If you use my rub I'd give thick ones a couple, or even several hours to dry brine with the salted rub. Then follow the usual chicken direcitons to get crispy skin and taken them to 160-165 max.

Pit Boss (Dave Parrish) has a great marinade that I've nicknamed "Parrinade" which is roughly 50/50 Moore's hickory marinade and Zesty Italian salad dressing. Marinate them in that overnight and smoke to 160-165. Just don't do both treatments on the same pieces!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by BigBear View Post
    Great lookin' breasts Huskee.
    thanks for noticing

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    Huskee I am guessing you didn't pound the breasts flat. Correct? It looks good. Is your rub posted somewhere? I grilled some pounded and brined breasts tonight on my new Jumbo Joe and have a 10# butt on the BGE for tomorrow. Outside temp is in the 40s and will drop into the 30s over night. The breasts were so so. I have a plan to improve them next time.

Leave a comment:

• BigBear
    replied
    Great lookin' breasts Huskee.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Powersmoke_80 Yeah who knows people's reasons, maybe he felt he couldn't maintain a low enough indirect temp in the firebox.

• Huskee
    replied
    Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
    Did you dry brine or wet brine Huskee
    Dry brine since my rub contains salt

Leave a comment:

• Powersmoke_80
    commented on 's reply
    Man that looks good! the guy I bought mine from used the fire box cooking grate in the main chamber with a piece of expanded metal on it to hold the charcoal under a cooking grate to grill on. Not sure why he did't use the fire box to grill on.

• DWCowles
    replied
    Did you dry brine or wet brine Huskee

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Thanks guys, it was very good. Henrik, yeah I use the firebox side a lot, it works great. If I'm doing a really small load, like only 3 or 4 burgers, I use my Weber Smokey Joe 14" (which takes about a dozen coals or less), but slightly larger loads go on the firebox. Large loads gets the regular smoker treatment with a sear over the firebox at the end.

Last night two hours afte dinner i remembered I left my mavericks on outside. I went out to turn them off. The top of my firebox lid (the hot plate) was still almost too hot to touch. I lifted the lid, it was cooler inside. The grate was warm, but not too hot to touch at all. It's cool how well that 1/4" steel holds heat. It just takes a bag of charcoal to get it up to temp... It's a locomotive.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Nice man!

Leave a comment:

• Henrik
    replied
    That chicken looks awesome! I never would've thought of the idea to use the fire chamber as a 2 zone cooking area in itself, perfect for those smaller cooking sessions.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    That rub is like the BBBR for chicken and pork.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    I have no scotch. No one I know on the internet will send me a sample of their favorite

Leave a comment:

• boftx
    replied
    Make that Scotch and all of the above looks mighty damn fine.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis