Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken breasts grilled indirect, deboned, with Huskee's Rib Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken breasts grilled indirect, deboned, with Huskee's Rib Rub

On the menu tonight, boneless chicken breasts rubbed with Huskee's Rib Rub, indirectly grilled/smoked with charcoal and an apple log. In the oven: potatoes (and a sweet potato for the wife) and oven-roasted olive oiled Brussels sprouts.

My setup: Yoder offset firebox side. 2 bricks in middle for heat shield. 1/2 chimney of charcoal and/or logs on R side, near vent. Could've gotten by with 1/4 chimney. Meat on L side. One probe monitoring cooking grate temp, remaining 3 Maverick probes in the meat. Chimney on Yoder is 1/3 open. No water pan. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5269.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	13189

Here is my current view inside. Not pictured is the laptop on which The Pit is displayed.
    Leinenkugel's Orange Shandy in one of my two favorite beer glasses. And Mav 1 and Mav 2 to tell me stories about how it's all going. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5268.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	13190

Juicy, taken to 163 & pulled off, carryover to the 165 range
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5274.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	13224

Another macro of juiciness

Name:	IMAG5272.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	13225

The full plate....

Name:	IMAG5277.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	13226
    Last edited by Huskee; August 27, 2014, 05:44 PM.

Make that Scotch and all of the above looks mighty damn fine.

Comment

I have no scotch. No one I know on the internet will send me a sample of their favorite

Comment

That rub is like the BBBR for chicken and pork.

Comment

That chicken looks awesome! I never would've thought of the idea to use the fire chamber as a 2 zone cooking area in itself, perfect for those smaller cooking sessions.

Comment

Nice man!

Comment

Thanks guys, it was very good. Henrik, yeah I use the firebox side a lot, it works great. If I'm doing a really small load, like only 3 or 4 burgers, I use my Weber Smokey Joe 14" (which takes about a dozen coals or less), but slightly larger loads go on the firebox. Large loads gets the regular smoker treatment with a sear over the firebox at the end.

Last night two hours afte dinner i remembered I left my mavericks on outside. I went out to turn them off. The top of my firebox lid (the hot plate) was still almost too hot to touch. I lifted the lid, it was cooler inside. The grate was warm, but not too hot to touch at all. It's cool how well that 1/4" steel holds heat. It just takes a bag of charcoal to get it up to temp... It's a locomotive.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                Powersmoke_80 commented
                Editing a comment
                Man that looks good! the guy I bought mine from used the fire box cooking grate in the main chamber with a piece of expanded metal on it to hold the charcoal under a cooking grate to grill on. Not sure why he did't use the fire box to grill on.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Powersmoke_80 Yeah who knows people's reasons, maybe he felt he couldn't maintain a low enough indirect temp in the firebox.

Did you dry brine or wet brine Huskee

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
                Did you dry brine or wet brine Guest
                Dry brine since my rub contains salt

Comment

Great lookin' breasts Huskee.

Comment

Huskee I am guessing you didn't pound the breasts flat. Correct? It looks good. Is your rub posted somewhere? I grilled some pounded and brined breasts tonight on my new Jumbo Joe and have a 10# butt on the BGE for tomorrow. Outside temp is in the 40s and will drop into the 30s over night. The breasts were so so. I have a plan to improve them next time.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBear View Post
                      Great lookin' breasts Huskee.
                      thanks for noticing

Comment

Originally posted by LA Pork Butt View Post
                        Huskee I am guessing you didn't pound the breasts flat. Correct? It looks good. Is your rub posted somewhere? I grilled some pounded and brined breasts tonight on my new Jumbo Joe and have a 10# butt on the BGE for tomorrow. Outside temp is in the 40s and will drop into the 30s over night. The breasts were so so. I have a plan to improve them next time.
                        Yeah I usually don't unless I'm making chicken parm or something specifically needing them flattened. I like the plump juicy ones myself...au naturale. My rib rub is linked in the very top post. If you use my rub I'd give thick ones a couple, or even several hours to dry brine with the salted rub. Then follow the usual chicken direcitons to get crispy skin and taken them to 160-165 max.

Pit Boss (Dave Parrish) has a great marinade that I've nicknamed "Parrinade" which is roughly 50/50 Moore's hickory marinade and Zesty Italian salad dressing. Marinate them in that overnight and smoke to 160-165. Just don't do both treatments on the same pieces!

Comment

Great cook! As soon as I run out of my latest batch of MMD, I'm going to give your rub a whirl. I am also looking forward to trying your rib method with the application of a coat of brown sugar prior to smoking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here