Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BIG TURKEY LEGS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG TURKEY LEGS

I guess I needed to make my post more PG.....Anyone have any ideas on smoking some turkey legs? I was going to brine them uncovered in my meat fridge tonight until Saturday, with Baking soda and salt. On Saturday I will season them and throw them on the KBQ. Not sure if I should use traditional BBQ rub or go for the Simon and Garfunkel approach. Any tips or tricks are appreciated. Thank You!!

I've never done turkey legs per se, but I regularly do chicken. I can't ever decide if I like my BBQ rub better or the herbs+pepper+garlic pwd better (basically S&G plus some garlic pwd). I'd say I like them both 50/50. My vote- do half & half.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
      I've never done turkey legs per se, but I regularly do chicken. I can't ever decide if I like my BBQ rub better or the herbs+pepper+garlic pwd better (basically S&G plus some garlic pwd). I'd say I like them both 50/50. My vote- do half & half.
      I was thinking the same thing. Or just do a simple S&P rub and let the meat and smoke do the talking. Huskee

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Oooh hey, do you like spicy? I've used BBBR on chicken & chicken legs before and I loved it, but it was Cajun-stlye spicy, not for the average Joe. There's also Meathead's Disney Turkey leg recipe if you have Prague powder #1 and can afford the 12hrs to cure.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I do! Thats a great call. Thanks Husk!!

Use Meathead disney turkey legs recipe. No need for rub. Done a few on the KBQ. I did post mine somewhere

Comment

• cdd315
        cdd315 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a great idea! I have a few in the freezer that need to be cooked soon. Does the skin turn out crispy?

cdd315 I did mine at 225, crispy skin wasn't my priority. BUT skin turned out very good, not crispy (never had a turkey leg with crispy skin) but far from from the rubber.

Comment

Gonna start the cure tonight boys. I am looking forward to this cook. Although, I think I might just be more pumped to put more wood through the KBQ.

Comment

• cdd315
          cdd315 commented
          Editing a comment
          WooHoo!! Love seeing you guys doing some of that KBQ magicks

Comment

Ernest Those look insane. I hope mine come out somewhere close to this!!

Comment

I bet Cajun (BBBR) dusted Disney turkey legs would be dabomb.

Comment

Huskee I did Cajun dusted on the PBC. No rub is the way to go.

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know.

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
              Huskee I did Cajun dusted on the PBC. No rub is the way to go.
              What was your cook time? I am just trying to figure out when to fire that baby up. I need to run out and grab some Brown Sugar before I cure. I gonna wait till 5 am to drop the legs in the cure. Would you foresee any problems with making the cure tonight and just dropping the legs in early morning? I am doing 12 of them.
              Last edited by Spinaker; December 4, 2015, 03:17 PM.

Comment

My bad Spinaker . I think it was about an hour and 30 minutes.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no problem they're not going on till 5 so were good. Thanks. Ernest

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here