Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input requested: When is beer can chicken NOT beer can chicken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I go by one creed, phrased different ways.

If the food tastes good, then whatever you did was right.

Comment

I realize this post approaches heresy here, but I'm going ahead with it and hope I won't be excommunicated.

I have those beer can holders which slide up inside the cavity. Many years ago, long before I looked around here, I recognized that the beer can is keeping the flavor from reaching all but the top of the cavity. So I cut my beer cans down so they're only a couple inches tall. The holder provides a stable platform to hold the bird and can upright and the sides of the can no longer block the flavor from getting throughout the cavity. To top it all off, I used strong root beer in the can (or cannette) and darned if the bird didn't come out with root beer flavor throughout! And believe me, that little bit of root beer got plenty hot and filled the sealed cavity with luscious moisture and flavor. That's been my experience and I'm ready for my punishment.

I don't cook like this too often anymore, because I'm more concerned with the vertical temperature gradient with the breast and wings warmer and thighs and legs cooler, which is contrary to what I want. I like spatchcocking through the backbone, so the breast is surrounded by dark meat and I get more even cooking and better results. If I could mount the bird upside down and seal off its backside, that would be an ideal way to cook beer can chicken IMO.

Comment

More follow up: the yellow Amarillo aji sauce was great on leftover pork for lunch

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here