Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcocking turkey video and rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcocking turkey video and rub

I watched the video about spatchcocking turkey and thought it was wonderful. I noticed, though, that the dry rub was not applied under the turkey skin. The link from the e-letter of Nov 9th recommends under-the-skin-rubbing on a non-spatchcocked turkey. I was thinking of doing the same with the spatchcocked turkey. What say you?

Excellent question! I noticed the same thing. I have watched the video a couple times to make sure i get it right.

Comment

I always put rub under the skin on turkey and chickens, pdcapt . Since I use a rub with salt, I let it do the dry-brining. I put baking powder plus rub on the skin. Then I let the turkey sit, uncovered, in the fridge for a day.

For a turkey, just be sure to pull the skin back down nice and smooth or it could roll up. And so far, I've always spatchcocked a turkey. On my PBC, at a temp of 325-360, a 14 lb spatchcocked turkey cooks in 1.5-2 hours.

Kathryn

Comment

Going to spatchcock for the first time today. Any helpful tips or tricks besides the video?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit PRW. The video plus the Ultimate Turkey recipe page should be all you really need. Use good quality heavy-duty kitchen shears (scissors), they'll make your life so much easier than standard shears.

Under the skin. I find spatchcocking easier if you go a little wider, you aren't going to eat the back anyway so get out further where it is mostly thin bones.

Comment

Target timeframe for the bird spatchcocked? I used to use around 10-11 min per pound on a Weber, WSM and BGE. I have a 16# bird (and a couple of quarters) on my large BGE (also have Adjustable Rig if needed).

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            It depends on your cooking temp and the humidity level and airflow of the cooker. BGEs and other kamados are lower airflow due to their excellent insulated performance, but that may affect cook time a bit. If you're cooking at 325 I'd say you're right on. If you were to cook in a kettle I'd say more like 7-10 min per lb, but of course this isn't an exact science.

Thanks Huskee. The video says 2-hours. I am planning on 2.5 hours and will put half of gravy under bird and half on my gas grill. In the past my BGE has had trouble holding 325 with a full load of gravy fixins underneath.

Comment

Yeah, I was in a hurry. I like to put it under the skin, but sometimes I forget.

Comment

2+15'ish to hit 160 in the slow breast. BGE held temp great but I started the gravy on the gas grill when I lit the fire so it was hot going on the Egg. Otherwise I followed the written recipe, pulled the gravy at 145F, removed the stone and went direct raised then direct low to finish. Crispy and delicious.

Comment

Okay... So I rubbed it under the skin and over the skin. Followed the recipe exactly as written and the turkey turned out wonderful! Thank goodness I have a grill thermometer and a meat thermometer as well. As the day progressed, because of the cold temperatures, I needed to up the temperature on my GMG digital thermometer.

Thanks for the instructions on the spatchcocking and smoking!
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here