Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time bone in Turkey breast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time bone in Turkey breast

I smoked a 8 lb. bone in Turkey breast today for the first time. I wet brine it overnight in 1 cup table salt and 1 cup of sugar mix in 1 gallon of water. I set the temp on the RecTec for 375F. so I can get a crispier skin but the skin didn't turn out to crispy because I think the problem was rubbing the skin with EVOO before applying the rub. I also inject it with unsalted butter. It took 2 1/2 hrs to cook and the final results was great even though the skin wasn't crispy. The meat was tender and moist but to me it was a little salty to taste but the the wife and grandkids didn't think so. What will I do different the next time? I won't use no oils on the skin prior to appying the rub and cutting the brine down to 1/2 cup table salt and 1/2 cup of sugar. Now I just need to learn how to carve the dang thing, Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0098[1].JPG
Views:	144
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	121295

I'm not very good at carving turkey Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0100[1].JPG
Views:	138
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	121298

Comment

Salted rub? Probably not I assume. I always wet brine less time than overnight, but halving the salinity is probably the same thing. Did the butter injection make the slices juicy? Never dunnit but will on my next one.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee the rub had no salt in it and I think the butter did make it juicy. The salt taste wasn't overpowering at all but a little stout for my taste buds.

Wet brining might have added more water to the skin maybe? I would leave it in the fridge uncovered for a good while like 12-24hrs uncovered to dry the skin some before cooking. It looks like you carved the breast lengthwise, try to take the breasts off the bone and cut it widthwise. Works for me Looks dang good regardless though, what did you rub it with?

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        cdd I've had great luck getting crispy skin with wet brining. It affects it nada, in fact I wonder if it may actually help crisp it. I pat it dry very well after and cook it hotter, typically in the 350 range. I usually don't use any oil, DWCowles, my guess it was the oil. Oil may help crisp it if you're going to sear it over direct heat, but I'm doubtful it helps with an indirect convection cook.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I think to Huskee I have two more turkey breasts to do in two weeks (got to go back to work today).

I use olive oil with a salty rub on the skin. I then put a herb rub under the skin. I also inject with turkey broth. I let it sit in the fridge uncovered overnight. So I guess I do a dry brine.

Comment

Did my first today as a warm up for Thanksgiving. Did a 10lb bone in breast. Followed MH's Ultimate Turkey Recipe to a "T" and it was scrumdiddlyishus!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_14524.jpeg
Views:	142
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	121787
        Last edited by Polak; November 16, 2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Very pretty, Polak !

Kathryn

• Polak
          Polak commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Kathryn, it didn't stay that way long. I really need to work on my carving technique.

I think the 1 cup of table salt contributed to the extra saltiness. I normally use 1 cup of kosher salt, which equals to 1/2 cup table salt (roughly)

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          It was 1C salt and an overnight brine combined. I use 1 C table salt for 2-3hrs on chicken, and 1 hr on chicken pieces or chops...no need to go overnight or yeah it will be too salty.

I'm getting ready to smoke a few turkeys on the Lang and this will be my first go with turkey. I had planned on doing a brine but i notice "the ultimate smoked turkey" on this site does not use brine. What are your ideas on this? Also do you smoke turkey in upright position or on back, breast side up

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here