Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spatchcock Turkey - BGE w/Adj Rig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spatchcock Turkey - BGE w/Adj Rig

I am curious what size and how many spatchcock turkeys will fit on my BGE with Adjustable Rig. I am planning 2 turkeys at 10-12# but am not quite sure how much space they take up all laid out.

Thanks!!!!

10 to 12 lbs would be about right for a large BGE. I don't know what an adjustable rig is but if it's like an extended rack you should be fine. The only problem I could see is there being enough room between the two turkeys. This is a picture of a 12 lb I did on my large last year December.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4867.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	362.4 KB
ID:	120921

Hope that gives you an idea of proportion. Put the legs to the back as there tends to be more heat in that area.

Comment

Thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I am in charge of turkey #2 for Thanksgiving. My sister is cooking one in the oven and I am bringing one. I wanted to do two small ones (10-12# each) but looking at that picture, it may not work. The Adjustable Rig is an insert that allows you levels. I can do 6 racks of ribs laying flat, or 3-4 shoulders on two levels. It is sold the the Ceramic Grill Store.

I wonder if anyone has had any luck with 2 10# birds? Plan B may be 12# bird plus parts on top shelf. That may work great too.

Comment

I have an adjustable rig, but I have never used it for two spatchcock turkey. I have however used it for multiple 10 pound Boston Butts with the rig extender cooking low and slow. The distance between the grill on top of the rig and the rig extender is limited, so the lower Boston Butt had the imprint of the grill From the rig extender. On the rig alone you would have about 4" from the diffuser to the top grill. Adding a second grill one level above above the diffuser would give you about 3" to the top of the next grill. How thick would you spatchcock turkey be? You would need to fine a very thin drip pan. If you have the rig extender, I think you could fit both using the rig grill and the rig extender grill, but I think they would overlap the rig and rig extender grills. If I tried it I Would go with 10 pound turkeys which will be hard to find.

Comment

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt Yup. Makes perfect sense. I have the Spider, the Rig Extender, and the sliders plus the 16" stone. My new plan Might be to order 12-14# bird. Then see if I can find a small one to throw pieces on top on Extender. It'd be fun to add drumsticks and wings.
          Last edited by TimmyR; November 12, 2015, 05:45 PM.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          TimmyR sounds like a plan. I wondered if you had the spider. That might give you more room with the deffuser on the spider.

• TimmyR
          TimmyR commented
          Editing a comment
          LA Pork Butt Thanks! I am going to my local butcher tomorrow to order the bird and see what options I have for a second smaller bird or parts. I think one bird will cook perfect on AR with stock grate on top, direct keeping turkey just above the felt line (I have two chickens there right now!). If I try two turkeys I think I'll be in trouble. The good news is my turkey is the second one for dinner nearby. Cheers.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here