Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PBC pro-tips for whole turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC pro-tips for whole turkey?

Calling all AR PBCers:

I am doing some practicing for the holidays smoking a whole turkey on the PBC (on grate, too nervous to hang - lol) and was wondering if any of you guys have any pro-tips or lessons learned. I am planning on dry brining a non-salted bird and using either Huskees rib rub or MHs Memphis Dust - I tried the S&G rub previously on Cornish hens and did not like it. Other than that I plan on following the AR method for prepping the bird - maybe butterballing, maybe not. Definitely not Cajun or other spice injecting. I plan on using Cherry wood, but since I have had great results with Pecan wood on chicken, I am on the fence there. I will be using lump charcoal with the exception of the 40 briquettes in the mini-chimney to get started.

Anyway - that is the gameplan, but since PBC doesn't have any video instructions on whole turkey I am hoping the PBC experts can help fill in the blanks.

I remember a very detailed post from last year (well, I think I remember - lol) from Ernest (or fxdoc or maybe Jerod) on PBC turkey, but I cannot find it.

Thanks in advance guys!!

Noah hangs a turkey in one of the original videos. He used 4 hooks with the breast facing down. I hung mine like a chicken.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on - thanks. I thought I remembered a PBC video, but all I found on a recent visit to the website that was close to turkey was a whole duck.

Check this out!

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks David - I didn't see that one on the PBC site. I am comfortable hanging ribs in the PBC - even thick slabs of St. Louis style and small Cornish game hens, but hanging thicks cuts like pork shoulder, brisket or a turkey makes me nervous. I think the first time I'll do on the grate.

Do you think it makes a major difference in hanging a turkey vs leaving on the grate?

• David Parrish
      David Parrish commented
      Editing a comment
      I haven't tried turkey on the grate Vs the hooks so I can't speak from experience, but based on what I know about the PBC I don't think it'll make that big of a difference. You really shouldn't be afraid to hang big hunks of meat. I've had ribs fall before, but never a big hunk. Just make sure you move the meat from the hooks to the grate before it gets to the point it's fall apart tender. For brisket and pork butts I don't like them to get much above 170F before I move them to the grate.

I heard from Amber (of PBC) today that they'll have a new turkey video soon as well as an accessory dedicated to turkey hanging, so folks keep this in mind as you're prepping for your PBC turkey cooks.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool deal! I am going to go with the more savory Memphis Dust and Cherry with out butterballing just to get a baseline.

I did a pretty detailed post last year as I was learning, did about a dozen of them, they were the best thing I have smoked yet.
    I am doing one for my mom tomorrow, if you have any questions or any specific pics you want let me know and I will do it.

Now that I look at it again most of the details are in comments, and you commented a few times so maybe that was the one.
    Last edited by _John_; October 24, 2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• HC in SC
      HC in SC commented
      Editing a comment
      That was the one - big thanks John!

Noah has designd a new turkey hanger & a nice instructional video to accompany. Ordered one a couple days ago!

Comment

My pbc hooks are on their way. Bought a pair so I can hang two turkeys at the same time. PBC recommends a 12 to 15 lb bird so I am going to go with their recommendation.

Comment

Just commenting on T-day intentions.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here