Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time Heritage Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Heritage Turkey

Click image for larger version  Name:	1029C044-A4C9-491D-8D66-8B983C5446E0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.17 MB ID:	1135330 Click image for larger version  Name:	FA7C23EE-A888-40D6-B6E0-D218866728B9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	1135329 Click image for larger version  Name:	7A7E2C0A-66AE-49EA-B578-F5859CF3FBC0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.06 MB ID:	1135328

Still living in PA. Living in the country has its advantages. We discovered a turkey farm 10 mins away so we ordered one for thanksgiving.

They offered two types. A traditional which is similar to a butterball- bred for breast meat. And what they called a "Heritage" turkey. Think the heirloom tomato of turkeys. Very different. Still a decent amount of white meat but if you like dark meat you might try one.

Consensus was this was the best turkey we’ve ever had. Incredible flavor. More game-y than a regular turkey. I wish I took a picture after I spatchcocked it bc when I lifted the flap of skin I was stunned by the color. Looked like steak it was so deep red/purple.

Also the turkeys are called Bourbon Red. I felt it was a good omen.
    Last edited by JCBBQ; December 1, 2021, 09:40 AM.

Wow, very cool. Did you get that at Carversville Farm itself? What'd it end up running you cost wise? (expensive, I expect).
    I only see turkey parts on their web store at the moment.

Was your seasoning/brining approach any different for this heritage bird compared with the butterball style?

Comment

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, we went to their farm. Very expensive- over $100…I think it was $130 or $150 for 14.5lb bird. I don’t recall. For some reason I’m thinking $13 or $14/lb so it was definitely more.

They give brining instructions but I just used my typical brine - salt and water for about 6-7 hours.

• JCBBQ
      JCBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      gboss bbqLuv if that is indeed a Raiders super bowl xv stein, then I know what that was like. Living outside Philly rooting against the Iggles was tough sledding…but I loved every minute of it. Plunkett, Marcus Allen, Stick-um…I was a fan.

• gboss
      gboss commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol, heck no! That's definitely a German beer logo, although I forget which one.
      <obligatory> E-A-G-L-E-S! </obligatory>
      Edit: it's Warsteiner.
      Last edited by gboss; December 2, 2021, 10:46 AM. Reason: Beer name.

Nice thanks for the post. "Bourbon Red" I see why the name.
    Showed your posted Pics to wife, with both agreed on quite interesting.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; December 1, 2021, 12:21 PM.

Comment

I had a pasture raised turkey the weekend before Thanksgiving and it was immensely better than the standard Butterball from the grocery store. So much more flavor!

Comment

Have you ever cooked a wild turkey (the bird, not the bourbon)? If so, how does this compare?

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          No sorry. I haven’t

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          JCBBQ I haven't cooked a Heritage, but your description sounds exactly like wild turkey.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I bet you’re right. My guess is the only difference being the heritage is breed specific. We’ve been driving by that farm for months and the Turkeys are just out roaming the fields.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here