Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What temperature to cook my turkey at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What temperature to cook my turkey at?

I am following meatheads guide for smoking a Turkey. It says to smoke it at 325, I am using a pellet smoker that has temperatures at 300 and 350. Which temperature should I cook it at?

I’d assume your pellet smoker varies up to 10-15 degrees around the set point so I’d go at 300 versus risking too high temps.

Comment

I'd strongly recommend 350F if you're looking for properly cooked skin on your bird. Lot's of folks around the Pit like to go even higher with poultry ... like 400F. Personally, I always shoot for 350.

Comment

I smoke it at 225 until it. Reaches an internal temp of 140. Then I up the temp to 325 until the breast is 160 and the thigh. 175.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; November 25, 2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          225 then up to 225?

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          HawkerXP Oops 325.

No pellet cooker here, but cooked 73 turkeys Thanksgivin of 2019, afore th Strange Days...

Offset cooker.

Given yer situation, I would:

Go with 350°, watch it close, when it gits close to done.

Best of luck, an Happy Thanksgivin to yer self, ann alla yall, thereabouts!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; November 25, 2021, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Hot. Not very hot, but hot, yessir.

Comment

I cook 325 to 350.

Comment

If you really want to get turkey skin crispy, i favor this recipe to make chips.

Comment

325 works on my Traeger.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here