Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prepping and Smoking a Pasture Raised Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prepping and Smoking a Pasture Raised Turkey

Did a thing over the weekend and shot it on video and thought I would share it with you:

For a simple rundown of what I did:

Step 1: Spatchcock the turkey - Cut out the backbone and flatten the turkey
    Step 2: Dry Brine the turkey - sprinkle some salt on it and let it sit uncovered in the fridge for a day or two
    Step 3: Butter and seasoning - I just used salt and pepper but feel free to use whatever rub you want. I shoved some butter under the skin and rubbed the outside with butter but you can skip this step if you want
    Step 4: Smoke at 325 until the breast meat is 160-165 and the thigh is 170-180. Any smoker will work for this. If you want to baste it by drizzling some melted butter on it you can do this during the cooking process.
    Step 5: Rest the turkey for at least 30 minutes and then carve.

Feel free to drop any questions, comments, criticism, smart remarks, and let me know what you think. Overall this was probably the best turkey I have cooked.
    Last edited by JoeSousa; November 24, 2021, 12:55 PM.

I like this approach. Simple is good. Start with good ingredients, do the basics well, eat.

Comment

Step 1: Spatchcock the turkey -- Nailed it, fun to say and do.

Comment

Hey, If it worked use it again, sometimes we try to re-invent the wheel when simple is best.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here