Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prob location on Turkey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prob location on Turkey?

I'm just wondering when you smoke a turkey, where is the best place to insert the probe? In the breast or in the thigh? Or is it somewhere else?

I like the breast, deepest part. Always double check before removing since my initial probe locations are rarely exact.

Comment

I'll second placing it in the deepest part of the breast, and pulling when it hits 160F. Double check with an instant read though. If you insert your leave in probe too far, it may be past the center of the breast meat, and be close to the body cavity and read a higher temp than what the breast is really at.

Comment

I run two probes, one to the deepest part of the breast and the second into the thigh area at the leg joint.
        Since I cook my turkeys whole and in the pan set up I use I find the heat takes longer to penetrate into this area so I like to keep and eye on it.
        I may have to cover the breasts during cooking while waiting for the thighs to catch up to the required inside cooking temp..

Comment

Stick it in the hole where they have those silly pop up thermometers....If it does not have one then the deepest part of the breast like everyone else states.

Comment

Deepest part of the breast.

Comment

Go all the way into the thickest part of the breast until you touch bone, then pull it back 3/4"

Comment

I go with two probes - breast and thigh.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here