Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stuffed Turduckin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuffed Turduckin

My niece was given a bacon wrapped turduckin stuffed with sausage dressing. She wants me to smoke it for her. I know Meathead warns about not stuffing because the meat will be dried out by the time the IT of the dressing is hit. Would you recommend cooking this low and slow at 225 or a higher temp similar to using a conventional oven? Should I try to remove the stuffing before smoking and just have her bake it in the oven?

Total weight is 7lbs.
    Last edited by jlazar; November 20, 2021, 10:33 AM.

For items like this, I follow directions the come with them. So that is my suggestion along with an internet search.
    Turducken Recipe | Allrecipes
    how to bbq a turdonkin - Bing video
    Happy trudonkin to you and PBR too.

I have been thinking about ordering one from Taylors in Cave Junction, OR.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. This one came from Costco.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Have not seen one at our local Costco. I will keep an eye out.
      Be sure to let us know how it turns out.
      Pictures are always appreciated.

bbqLuv Thanks again for the links on cooking. Here are some pics of the turducken cook. It turned out to not be a true turducken, but rather a turducken roast. No wings, breast or legs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turducken Before.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1130216

Name:	Turducken 5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1130217

Name:	Turducken 8.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	1130218

Comments: Cooked to internal temp of 165. Got a good smoke ring from a couple of chunks of cherry. Took 4.5 hrs at 225 as package indicated it would.

Bacon wrap. Nicely wrapped. Very thin. Added moisture but no flavor.

Turkey. Was pressed thigh meat. No breast meat. Dry and bland.

Duck. Lack of flavor and dry.

Chicken. Ok but nothing special.

Italian sausage dressing. Could taste a little heat, but basically it was a paste injection.

Verdict. Wish I had a lot of gravy. Do not buy one of these roasts. Stay with a true turducken, or better yet, stay with just a turkey.

Thankfully, it was a gift. Would have really felt bad if I had paid for it.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      This makes more sense to my food safety brain anyway, but my eyeballs agree gravy would be necessary

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry it turned out that way. And yes, a true turducken is awesome, especially when stuffed with a rice dressing or sausage. And they’re great on the smoker.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We tried one of these but the turkey only variety and bread stuffing.
      Nine gallons of gravy wouldn't have helped that thing.
      And I did feel bad....even though I got it on sale, I paid for it.

Sure looked good on the outside. Not so much on the inside. 😳

Comment

@jlazar I thought this is what you were going to cook. Pictures look good.
      Turdunkin, all foul deboned, turkey stuffed with a duck, stuffed with a chicken.
      Turducken Recipe - YouTube

Comment

• jlazar
        jlazar commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here