Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning my spatchcock bird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Planning my spatchcock bird

I’m planning to cook the bird on the MAK 2 Star, not because we want a smoked bird but to make oven space for sides. My family isn’t a huge fan of heavy smoke, which is one reason for the owning the MAK.

I read Meatheads article on Spatchcock Turkey, I’m also a huge fan of Alton Brown, who has a popular Spatchcock recipe. He cooks initially at 450° (his holiday bird whole initially uses 500°) for 30 min, then drops to 350°. Meatheads recipe is 325° For the entire cook.

The pellet is just a convection oven plus a little smoke. The higher the temp, the less smoke flavor. I’m debating which way to go here?

I did mine last year at 350 for entire cook on my Recteq. Turned out great with nice crispy skin and a mild smoke profile. We don't like a heavy smoke on poultry with. Also, at the lower temp I feel you do not use pellets so voraciously.

Comment

I do our turkey the Serious-Eats way (similar to Alton Brown's) every year. Comes out fabulous and takes no more than 70-75 minutes to cook. It's done at 450* in the oven, but you could use the MAK at that temp, but I've never tried it.

Crisp-Skinned Spatchcocked (Butterflied) Roast Turkey With Gravy Recipe (seriouseats.com)

Comment

Originally posted by GolfGeezer View Post
        I do our turkey the Serious-Eats way (similar to Alton Brown's) every year. Comes out fabulous and takes no more than 70-75 minutes to cook. It's done at 450* in the oven, but you could use the MAK at that temp, but I've never tried it.

Crisp-Skinned Spatchcocked (Butterflied) Roast Turkey With Gravy Recipe (seriouseats.com)
        Good to know, thanks. Do you brine? If so, dry or wet?

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to, but now I buy a pre-brined bird from Trader Joe’s. I do not rinse it or anything, just spatchcock, butter pats under the skin and season with whatever moves me that day. Herbs de Provence or McCormack’s chicken seasoning usually.

I've been smoking turkeys for 30+ years, using charcoal and/or wood (offset), but in the past 5-10 years, have leaned away from using ANY wood chunks with the Thanksgiving day cook. The charcoal alone gives me enough smoke flavor. In fact, I think Meathead may imply as much in his write up on turkeys - i.e. to use wood sparingly, if at all. The main reason for me doing the turkey started in the 90's with having space in the oven for sides and such. Heck, one year I remember doing it in an electric roaster on the countertop, haha. Just that once though.

Considering that at 325 to 350, you will get minimal smoke with the pellets on the Mak 2 star, no reason not to just consider it an outdoor oven.

Comment

Great question - my wife is not a fan of smoky turkey at all and I've been thinking on the same problem.

I plan to spatchcock and use charcoal only, with no wood chips. Glad to see that's the right direction. I wasn't thinking so much about the temp having as much influence on smoke flavor, but it makes sense.

jfmorris - same! We did a couple years with the turkey in the electric roaster for the same reason before I was brave enough to give it a go on the grill. I'm not going back!

Comment

I had a "friendsgiving" with the neighbors a couple weeks back and smoked a 15 pound spatchcocked bird in my ThermoTemp XL propane smoker (wanted to go lighter smoke like is mentioned here). I used five ounces of pecan and there was very little smoke profile. Actually, when I do it again I will either use the kettle or offset to get a better smoke profile. Nobody in my family tasted smoke at all.
            Attached Files

Comment

I just did this the other day on the MAK at 375. I don't know the size, but it was a large breast that I spatchcocked. Turned out great.
              Attached Files

Comment

• KabBBQ
                KabBBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                How long did it take and at what internal temperature did you take it off?

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                KabBBQ This one took 2:45. I pulled at 162 according to my fireboard. I didn’t pay attention to the weight, but it was probably the largest turkey breast I’ve cooked.

I keep going back forth about whether to do my bird on pellet smoker or WSM. I have some pecan and cherry chunks I’d like to use. Leaning more towards the WSM with only 2 chunks. I have a small leftover unused pork belly I’ll do on the pellet grill along with some bricks of cream cheese. I spatchcock my bird as well.

I did some chicken thighs last night on the pellet smoker at similar temps you mentioned and I could still taste some smoke so you should be good to go. If I use my pellet smoker that’s what I’ll shoot for. The weather forecast might be the ultimate decider which route I go.

Comment

I decided to spatchcock, wet brined for 24 hrs, now drying out the skin in fridge for 48 hrs. Going to do Cajun spiced, injection and rub, 450° for 30 min or so, then coast at 350° for the remainder.

I have all my other sides done, so tomorrow will be sit outside with a cocktail and a cigar! Love Thanksgiving.🦃

Comment

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will get a cocktail and cigar tomorrow, too .... most of the prep is now done and basically I just have to do the turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy

I have done turkeys on my kettle both ways. I did some at 400-450 and have done some closer to 325. I think I prefer 325 for turkeys now. Running at 450 they would definitely cook quick but the skin would start burning a bit towards the end. Seems like starting hot and then backing off temps like you are planning is a good way to go.

Comment

Got a turkey brining right now, will get about 20h in the juice, then will be able to dry it for maybe 12h before it goes on to smoke. Hope that's enough. Still trying to decide if I spatchcock it or leave it au natural...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here