Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey Gravy w/o drippings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey Gravy w/o drippings

I been volunteered to assist with an office lunch that will include a rotisseried turkey. The cook/CEO informs me that the drippings won't work for gravy. I am NOT eating turkey without gravy.

So far my plan is to ask for the gizzards, neck and pope's nose to be set aside for me to work with. Sear those, add some aromatics, deglaze with stock, simmer. Strain and use a roux to get it thick. Anyone have a better plan? Never done this before.

Nope. I think your plan sounds perfect. I think it will turn out great.

Comment

That's what I do. Carry on and enjoy.

Comment

Th Pope's Nose will carry yer venture in fer Th Win, Amigo

Don't want me no turkey without no gravy, neither...

Hail even th C-Rats Turkey, an MRE both had em some 'gravy' component...

Comment

I make the gravy every year for my nephew's where he cries the turkey. Here's what I do:

INGREDIENTS
          1 large onion, chopped
          2 carrots, chopped
          2 ribs celery, chopped
          2 teaspoons vegetable oil
          2-3 large turkey wings
          2 turkey necks
          2 tablespoons cold water
          10 cups cold water
          4 sprigs fresh thyme
          2 cloves garlic (optional)
          3 tablespoons butter
          1/2 cup all-purpose flour
          salt and ground black pepper to taste
          1 pinch cayenne pepper
          1 teaspoons of soy sauce

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

2. Combine onion, carrots, celery, and vegetable oil in a large roasting pan and toss to coat. Place turkey wings and necks on top of vegetables

3. Place roasting pan in the preheated oven and cook until the turkey wings are browned and vegetables are caramelized and softened, 45 to 60 minutes, turning wings once for even browning.

4. Transfer turkey parts and vegetables to a large stockpot. Place the roasting pan over a stovetop burner on medium heat. Pour 2 tablespoons cold water into the pan and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer mixture to the stockpot and add 10 cups cold water, thyme, and garlic.

5. Bring turkey wing mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until meat falls off the bone, about 3 hours. Skim off turkey fat throughout the process and set aside 2 tablespoons.

6. Strain turkey stock and reserve 6 cups of stock; discard all the solids.

7. Heat butter and 2 tablespoons reserved turkey fat in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until it begins to smell like cooked pie crust, 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly pour in turkey stock, whisking continuously. Increase heat to high and simmer until thick and warmed through, about 5 minutes. Add Umami Tsunami and stir to combine. Season with salt, black pepper, a0nd cayenne pepper to taste.

Notes:
          1. To make with a pressure cooker use about 5 lbs of turkey parts, in step 4, transfer the roasted turkey parts, veggies and deglazing liquid in a pressure cooker pot. Add water to the max fill line (about 8 cups/2qts). For step 5, pressure cook on high pressure for 45 minutes, followed by natural pressure release (might take 30 minutes or more). Strain stock and refrigerate thoroughly. Remove congealed fat from the top and reserve. Proceed with step 7.

2. 11/26/19 - PRESSURE COOKER VERSION: I used 2 wings, 2 drumsticks and 3 necks. Total weight ~5lbs, maybe a little less. 2 qts of water did not quite fill to the max line. I roasted the turkey parts and the mirepoix in separate pans. I took the veggies out after 1 hour (45 minutes was probably enough.) The turkey I continued to roast until it was very brown, checking every 15 minutes and adding a small amount of water to the pan as needed to keep the drippings from scorching. I added 3 fresh sage leaves to the pressure cooker along with the thyme. Pressure cooked for 1 hour. The resulting stock was very brown/dark with a very rich turkey flavor. Will continue to do this way in the future.

Comment

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I believe Ernest on this board actually smokes his turkey parts before boiling them for stock.
            You could also catch the drippings to add to the mix.
            Hopefully he chimes in here.
            ....and by catching the drippings you can show the cook/CEO that dripping will work for gravy....like who says that....I use pan drippings for gravy all the time

• jlazar
            jlazar commented
            Editing a comment
            Dewesq55 I made your gravy this Thanksgiving. It was fantastic. It is now my go to gravy recipe.

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            jlazar - I'm really glad you liked it. I, too, made it for T'giving this year. It was also a hit.

This is outstanding - https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/turkey-gravy

Comment

What Dewesq55 said: pick up some turkey parts at the store if you have to (if you can't get the secret toy surprise from the turkey chef), and make the gravy that way.

We've had to do similar when we deep-fry a turkey

Comment

@millin When I smoke a turkey and don't have drippings, I have had good luck with this approach.

Make Ahead Giblet Gravy
              2 tablespoons canola oil
              Turkey neck, heart, gizzard and butt, skip the liver
              1/2 large onion quartered
              1 can chicken broth
              1 teaspoon thyme
              2 bay leaves
              4 cups water

tablespoons butter
              6 tablespoons flour
              1 tablespoon salt
              1 teaspoon pepper
              kitchen bouquet as needed
              1 tablespoon chicken bouillon pollo
              Yield: 3 cups

Heat oil over medium-high in pressure cooker until shimmering. Add turkey pieces and onion and cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Flip and brown the other side, another 3 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil, scraping bottom of pan. Add thyme and bay leaves. Add 4 cups hot water. Lock lid on pressure cooker and bring to high pressure over high heat. Reduce heat and cook at high pressure for 30 minutes. Remove pressure cooker from heat and let pressure come down naturally, about 10 minutes.

Strain broth through fine mesh strainer, discarding turkey parts.

Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and wait for it to stop foaming. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking constantly, until flour is the color of peanut butter, about 3-5 minutes.

Slowly pour strained broth into roux, whisking vigorously. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until gravy thickens and reduces by 1/3, or about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste along with kitchen bouquet. Keep cooking until gravy goes from watery to full-bodied. You can add some chicken bouillon for additional flavor if desired.

Can be stored in refrigerator in a sealed container up to three days once cooled.

Comment

I make a super stock with the leftover parts after I spatchcock the turkey. By super stock I mean simmering the bones, celery, carrot, onion and pepper corns in store bought turkey broth. It’s a little thicker than normal stock so the roux can be reduced.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is a great idea. I might have to try it. Thanks for the idea.

I know we're past Thanksgiving, but I have a turkey going for a pot luck at work. I did have a successful method for Thanksgiving pot luck. I cooked a couple spatchcocked turkeys at home for an early family Thanksgiving. I used one of this sites gravy recipes that has dry white wine making a stock with veggies and the backbone, neck, and parts. I strained in a fat separator and vacuum(not full vacuum) half a turkey with gravy. I then used a Sous Vide method in a crockpot for the work pot luck. Of course, you lose the crispy skin, but everyone enjoyed it. A couple said it was the best they have had. I was concerned about the turkey drying out, so that's why I experimented with the sous vide in the gravy. I drained the water, sliced and put in crockpot with gravy 30 min before potluck. It was successful and the first time I had no leftovers from potluck.

Comment

This is not necessarily a better plan, but it is what I do. I get turkey parts from the grocery store, such as wings, necks, etc. I season them up and roast them in the oven and use those drippings for gravy. Both plans will work.

Comment

Your plan is exactly what we do. Comes out great.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here