Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time Turkey cook on WSM 18 for Turkey Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Turkey cook on WSM 18 for Turkey Day

Hey All!
    So I'm going to smoke a 17lb bird on my WSM this turkey day. I've never smoked a turkey on this pit, but I have smoked a few on my PBC (both spatchcock as well as hanging) with great results. I wanted to use the WSM mainly for catching the drippings to make some good gravy. I wanted to let ya'll know my process before hand to see if there's anything I can do different than what I plan to get better results.

So I'm going to spatchcock and dry brine the bird for 2 days prior. I figure that'll be enough time to let the salt penetrate a decent amount as well as let the skin dry out.

I'm going to make my own injection and inject before putting on the pit. I'll put some rub on the bird before I put it on the pit. I'm looking at about 300 degree cook for a few hours.

I'm considering making some compound butter and rubbing under the skin and on top but I'm unsure about that. Not sure if I should forego this step because I'm injecting OR if I should skip injection in place of the compound butter. Then again, maybe the compound butter will help out with the drippings for a gravy.

Anyway, what do ya'll think? Should I do ALL the things listed or maybe drop a thing or two?

Thanks and have a great Sunday!

See my comment here for what I did.

WSM 18.5 for Higher Temp Cooks - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input.

I’d go higher temp, around 350. I’d also leave the water pan out.

Comment

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think it'd be OK to leave it in just no water?

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      jitsntricks I think that’d be fine. I don’t have a wsm but advise against a water pan in general when cooking poultry. The extra humidity makes it harder to get crispy skin.

• jitsntricks
      jitsntricks commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree. I typically only do water with brisket and pork butts.

Thanks for the tips!

Cooking/BBQ/smoking is time and temp, here are two EZ PZ ways
    May have to adapt to your grill.
    Happy grilling to you and PBR too.

Ultimate Traeger Turkey Recipe | Traeger Grills
    Traeger Smoked Turkey Recipe | Traeger Grills

Comment

This pit is great for overall BBQ info. But strictly on WSM's, I'd go here. They have a whole section on just Turkey's.

Home - The Virtual Weber Bullet

Comment

Here's my setup for turkey on WSM 22

water pan in, empty, foiled to reduce mess
        11x13x2 foil pan with gravy mixings on the bottom grate
        Turkey on top grate, spatchcocked
        1 full dragon chimney of kingsford pro, lit
        1 full dragon chimney of kingsford pro, unlit
        Put unlit charcoal in fire ring, then dump lit on top
        Once WSM top grate is over 300F, I start adjusting vents and it settles down around 350F

I spatchcock and dry brine about 24 hours prior
        Gravy = wing tips, backbone, onion, garlic, fresh thyme and rosemary, bay leaves, celery, carrots, all submerged in water. I roast the back and wing tips until I get a nice brown color, then add them and drippings to the gravy pan. I leave the onion skin on, helps to add color. I have been known to pour a cup of wine in there, too. Don't add salt until you pull the gravy to reduce and finish it. The drippings from the turkey will have salt in them.

Turkey rub - I typically use Simon & Garfunkel from the free side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	turkey - 5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	201.8 KB ID:	1122304

Comment

• jitsntricks
          jitsntricks commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. I'm looking to do pretty much the same thing. Although I have a stock I've already made to use in the gravy, I hope the pan will catch the drippings and it wont burn up.

Also, I have a 17.5lb bird, you think that'll fit on the WSM 18 spatchcock? I'm not sure about that.

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          jitsntricks I think that 17.5 lb bird should work with a bit of strategic placing of the legs. Also, don't follow my charcoal amounts for the WSM 18, unless you want it running around 450!

• jitsntricks
          jitsntricks commented
          Editing a comment
          ecowper Now worries! Thanks for the tips!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here